RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Making an OS Mirror Drive with Disk Management on WHS2011

fblittle

I built a strange new server from spare parts discarded at work. I loaded the OS onto a disk on port 1 on the MB then after that I installed a new disk on Port 0 on the MB, I then went into the Disk Manager and created a Mirror from the first Partition (C:) to the new drive then I mirrored the remaining partitoion with what is left of the drive. I then tried to Mirror the hidden 100MB partion that windows uses and found out that I could not. I got an error message, don't remember what it was, but it stopped the process and was finished. I thought no big deal that's only the recovery portion and I really don't need it. But then I tested the new mirror when the synching was finished by pulling the drive in port 1 out and re-booting, but it would not boot from the new drive.

Does anybody know what I did wrong? Why can't I, or how do I, mirror the whole drive so it's a clone of the original???

By the way the computer was a old circuit board rack that I made 12 hard disk bays that have 4 drive Bays controlled by the Mother Board and 8 drive bays controlled by a IBM ServeRAID M5015 RAID card. The drives all plug in from the front, hotswappable, in a single row mounted vertically and plug into the backplane like a circuit board. They are all mounted onto a aluminum plate the size and thickness of a circuit board. Each drive has its own activity light (blue ultra bright) so it makes its own light show when it is running.

A quick google seems to indicate the reserved partition cannot be mirrored using disk management.

A manual process can be found here.

A quick google seems to indicate the reserved partition cannot be mirrored using disk management.

A manual process can be found here.

Great article. Nice find. Thx.

Any reason why you cannot "clone" the exisiting drive with third party software?

Agreed, as long as you can make a copy of the install-generated reserved partition (on the primary disk) you should be good to go.

From what I can tell, the reserved partition is invariant and does not need "active" mirroring - you just need a copy to make that secondary disk bootable.

So any approach (clone exisitng using a tool, copy existing using the article) will solve the problem - it's just that it seems that it cannot be done within disk management.

Note that I use hardware RAID1 so take everyting I say with a grain of salt :)

Am sure someone will chime in who has actually done software/motherboard RAID1 to correct us...

Any reason why you cannot "clone" the exisiting drive with third party software?

I understand from all the replies that the 100MB primary partition does not change over time?

In that case I think I will make a clone first then mirror the two drives partitions in Disk management.

What way have others done it?

Hardware RAID 1. I would have to use two ports on my 8 port RAID card, don't want to take up two ports out of eight for that.

Is there any other simple hardware solutions?

Can it be done in the BIOS?

Edited by fblittle