RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To Serve or not to Serve, that is the question

Don W

OK, so lets take backup and restore out of the WHS equation, why go Windows 8 Server over Windows 8??? Other than backup I use my WHS as a media server and for file storage either of which Windows 8 will be more than capable of doing without the headache of managing a server. Will Server 8 be able to stream better than 8?

Not that I'm aware of. Of course, there's a lot about Win and Server 8 that's not known. It's not even certain how much advantage Server 8 will have over Windows 8 as far as backup is concerned. Mind you, I consider bare metal restore of my client PC's to be a vital function that I do not want to lose.

OK, so lets take backup and restore out of the WHS equation, why go Windows 8 Server over Windows 8??? Other than backup I use my WHS as a media server and for file storage either of which Windows 8 will be more than capable of doing without the headache of managing a server. Will Server 8 be able to stream better than 8?

I think that Server 8 will not, at least in its present form make its way to the home (other than enthusiast with a technet subscription). I see very little gain in either in terms of streaming. I thing what we have now will rival any solution that Windows 8 may offer. Not in capabilities but rather streaming. I think porting Server 8 to a new WHS would be absolutely outstanding.

• 1 month later...

This is a question I have been asking myself for the last couple months... I am sure there are reasons I am not thinking of but these are the ones that make sense to me for having a server in the home if there is no WHS version in Server 8.

• possibly less power hungry machine on 24/7 then my main PC
  • possibly better network throughput if a separate machine is handling that traffic then all of the data flowing in/out of my main PC's nic
  • separation/redundancy of systems to move data between if there is a hardware failure
  • ?

More physical connections are available to a server platform than a desktop platform. For 90% of the folks here, that is not an issue. Combine that with the ability to handle a more robust hardware environment makes it a no brainer for me.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I can think of is Windows 8 server may be missing some of the media software. It may not support DLNA or UPNP video streaming without additional software. This is only because Windows 8 server is designed with business customers in mind.

Server versions of windows support more simultaneous connections. I don't think this is a problem for most home users.

Edited by cclayton

Not that I'm aware of. Of course, there's a lot about Win and Server 8 that's not known. It's not even certain how much advantage Server 8 will have over Windows 8 as far as backup is concerned. Mind you, I consider bare metal restore of my client PC's to be a vital function that I do not want to lose.

The windows 7 included backup software supports bare metal restore. I am assuming the windows 8 version will support it too. With that being said WHS is a nicer backup solution.

The windows 7 included backup software supports bare metal restore. I am assuming the windows 8 version will support it too. With that being said WHS is a nicer backup solution.

Yeah, exactly. Win7 has backup, but it's hard to beat the automatic backup of WHS.