mattd390

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• mattd390

• ikon

Great to hear it's all working. We now have another RR guru in the forums :)

Thanks :). I don't know about guru, I am like a tech cub scout and most of your guys are eagle scouts lol. Hopefully this thread may help another person through their own install issues though.

raidarrayissue.png

This is where I am at now guys. The management software will not let me create the drive due to these not being available. Do I need to go into the bios of the raid card and set something up?

Couple things for future reference. You do not need to go into the BIOS to create the array. The drives where not available to the WebUI as they where not initialized. Secondly, if you do it through the Web UI as I do, you must set the rebuild priority to high first so the array will build much faster, I realize it is a bit late, and you got them running but you might want to review the videos I did on that card. Congrats and enjoy.

http://thedocsworld....r-raid-5-array/

For the future when you are ready to expand.

http://thedocsworld.net/raid-5-expansion/

Couple things for future reference. You do not need to go into the BIOS to create the array. The drives where not available to the WebUI as they where not initialized. Secondly, if you do it through the Web UI as I do, you must set the rebuild priority to high first so the array will build much faster, I realize it is a bit late, and you got them running but you might want to review the videos I did on that card. Congrats and enjoy.

http://thedocsworld....r-raid-5-array/

For the future when you are ready to expand.

http://thedocsworld....id-5-expansion/

I was actually following your video through the process but I had the hang up where it wouldnt let me create the array. It kept telling me that no devices were available to create the array (they weren't initialized like you mentioned I am guessing :) ). I went back to the management software this morning and saw where you can initialize the drives until MANAGE / DEVICE too.. wish I had saw that last night, I wouldnt of had to do it my way :). Thanks for the videos Doc, those things are priceless!

Thanks :). I don't know about guru, I am like a tech cub scout and most of your guys are eagle scouts lol. Hopefully this thread may help another person through their own install issues though.

Exactly. Just what these forums are all about. Thanks for the contribution.

I was actually following your video through the process but I had the hang up where it wouldnt let me create the array. It kept telling me that no devices were available to create the array (they weren't initialized like you mentioned I am guessing :) ). I went back to the management software this morning and saw where you can initialize the drives until MANAGE / DEVICE too.. wish I had saw that last night, I wouldnt of had to do it my way :). Thanks for the videos Doc, those things are priceless!

Real easy to miss those small details. The only reason I know is I screwed mine up a couple of times when I first did it. Glad you got it working and good luck with it.

Real easy to miss those small details. The only reason I know is I screwed mine up a couple of times when I first did it.

I always consider things like this (sticking points where people commonly have issues) as opportunities for companies to improve their configuration/management programs/utilities.

I always consider things like this (sticking points where people commonly have issues) as opportunities for companies to improve their configuration/management programs/utilities.

Absolutely unfortunately they rarely look at forums.

Guest no-control

It kept telling me that no devices were available to create the array (they weren't initialized like you mentioned I am guessing :) ). I went back to the management software this morning and saw where you can initialize the drives until MANAGE / DEVICE too.. wish I had saw that last night, I wouldnt of had to do it my way :). Thanks for the videos Doc, those things are priceless!

I just replaced one of my arrays with new drives and had this exact same issue. I completely missed initializing them. Spent 30 mins going WTF?! Then I realized what I missed...derp

It happens to all of us. At least you figured it out and have it up n running.

I just replaced one of my arrays with new drives and had this exact same issue. I completely missed initializing them. Spent 30 mins going WTF?! Then I realized what I missed...derp

It happens to all of us. At least you figured it out and have it up n running.

Wouldn't it be nice if the RAID config program said, "Can't create the array. Did you initialize the disks?"