RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

highpoint 2680 and EARS drives

mattd390

I finally ordered some drives to use with my Christmas present and was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question about the 2680 being used with 2 TB EARS drives. I was wondering if anyone had done anything special to the drives before using them with this, or really any, raid card. thanx for any tips!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• mattd390

• ikon

Technically speaking, WD does not certify EARS drives for RAID use. That said, a number of people in the forums have used them with good success. If they're the version of EARS on which WDIDLE can be used, you could use it to extend the inactivity timeout period of the drives so that they don't cause the RAID card to think there's something wrong with them. Even then, people have used EARS drives without changing the TLER (timeout period) and not had issues.

Both my servers (2680, 2720) use 8 EARS drives each and I have not had any issues at all. I did have some minor issues with the EADS drives but not the EARS. The EADS did drop once in a 6 month period and a reboot fixed. Both my EARS raids have been running for a year or more. Nothing was done to these drives except remove them from the protective packaging.

Technically speaking, WD does not certify EARS drives for RAID use. That said, a number of people in the forums have used them with good success. If they're the version of EARS on which WDIDLE can be used, you could use it to extend the inactivity timeout period of the drives so that they don't cause the RAID card to think there's something wrong with them. Even then, people have used EARS drives without changing the TLER (timeout period) and not had issues.

I was trying to remember what I did to one of my WD drives in the past and I believe it was the TLER fix. Thanks for the reminder and all the info!

Both my servers (2680, 2720) use 8 EARS drives each and I have not had any issues at all. I did have some minor issues with the EADS drives but not the EARS. The EADS did drop once in a 6 month period and a reboot fixed. Both my EARS raids have been running for a year or more. Nothing was done to these drives except remove them from the protective packaging.

Thanks for the great info Doc! You guys rock!

I was trying to remember what I did to one of my WD drives in the past and I believe it was the TLER fix. Thanks for the reminder and all the info!

Let us know how it works out, and if you have any issues.

Good luck...

raidarrayissue.png

This is where I am at now guys. The management software will not let me create the drive due to these not being available. Do I need to go into the bios of the raid card and set something up?

raidinitialize.png

Looks like I should have just tried the BIOS before posting the last post guys lol. Looks like its initializing. I will post any issues I may come across. 83 hours? Uhg!

raidinitialize2.png

5:31... much better! I went in the BIOS settings and deleted the array then recreated it with the management software within windows. Thanks to all of the guys that have had previous posts on this card, it helped a ton!