RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC to be or not to be??

PINKTULIP

Hi Guys

I am desperate to build an HTPC, to replace the D-Link media player i have, but am still working on the accounts department, and WAF Value. I am in the UK, and today I can get an Acer Revo with the following spec,

Processor Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz * NVIDIA

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• eobie

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend upgrading to the Revo with dual core, more memory, and Windows 7 included. Nothing kills WAF like lag, and the faster CPU should help with that quite a bit. I'd stick with Home Premium as it will get you all you need.

I was chatting the dvn, he purchased the Revo also to use as a HTPC. My brother bought one of those and installed Ubuntu with XBMC for Linux, It's doing a great job.

Yep, that's right. I'm just waiting on delivery from Newegg. Maybe tomorrow or the day after. I also picked up a Samsung external DVD burner so I have the option to watch a DVD without first ripping it to the server.

First I'll back it up to WHS. Then I'll run PC Decrapifier on it to free up some resources.

My brother also picked up a dual-core Revo about a month ago. I introduced him and his family to Media Center and hooked them up with Media Browser. They really like it. They're streaming Netflix, along with movies from their server, so they're quite pleased with the whole thing.

It's a useful, free tool for batch uninstalling all the crapware that comes with a new PC. Start it up and choose all the things you want to get rid of, then run it. It does a good job.

I would agree with usacomp2k3 whole heartedly.
Go with the dual core...the 330

I know ...an extra $100. Ahhh thats hard. Wait if you have to. Believe me you will be happier.
My experience with the atom 230 is its amazing in many ways but running WMC well it doesn`t. Good yes but not well. Not with large libraries and quick GUI action.

Ted

I have the 330 in my Asrock with Ion. Haven't tried Win 7, but using XBMC over Linux works great.

Stan

yes go with the dual core. i am running the Atom 330 overclocked to 2 Ghz. It really helps rendering the menus inside of media center, and more specifically mediabrowser.

My two cents, go with as much CPU as you can afford (330)and you may want to consider the new Core I3 ($124) for you HTPC. I am testing one now and it is pretty power efficient (50 watts during BD playback) and is quick. It will put you in a nice place for blu ray as well as any add on software. If you are going into a reciever this will work great for you. Works well with TMT 3. I would use 32 bit home premium (I use 64 bit for everything except HTPCs)as it seems to have less issues with codecs and playback software. I would also go with 2 gigs of RAM if you can as it is much smoother. Drive space is not an issue as I assume you will be pulling from your WHS. Get a small, fast, and quiet drive.