RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is Backup/Restore for Windows 7/8 ready for Primetime?

Don W

I now I am speaking sacrilegious in this WHS forums but I am wondering about getting rid of my WHS OS and getting Windows 8 when it comes out so that I can use Storage Spaces and am wondering if Windows 7 Backup and Restore can handle all my backup needs??? I love the backup ability of WHS but I am wondering if that is all I need anymore. I could install Windows 8 with storage spaces, make a pool out of my 6 2TB drives with parity and a hot spare and then be able to store all my media on it and my backups.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Don

This has been discussed in recent weeks but died down quickly. The only downside I see, for the time being, is the lack of a web interface.

I don't think it's sacrilegious at all. As jmwills has alluded, the possible future impact of Windows 8 has been discussed. Personally, I suspect Windows 8 or Server 8 will take over the functions of WHS in the long run.

I now I am speaking sacrilegious in this WHS forums but I am wondering about getting rid of my WHS OS and getting Windows 8 when it comes out so that I can use Storage Spaces and am wondering if Windows 7 Backup and Restore can handle all my backup needs??? I love the backup ability of WHS but I am wondering if that is all I need anymore. I could install Windows 8 with storage spaces, make a pool out of my 6 2TB drives with parity and a hot spare and then be able to store all my media on it and my backups.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Don

My thought is no. Remember that WHS uses a single instance backup while the traditional backup does a full image. If you have more than a couple of PC's, full images will be quite space consuming not to mention slow. Considering the performance of storage spaces, probably not the best idea. No other product that I am aware of lets you back up so many systems with so little space.

pcdoc and no-control both make good points. My own view is that the features they mention will make it into Windows 8 over time, or some form of them will. For example, single instance storage is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds and, with data volumes steadily increasing, I only see that trend continuing.

pcdoc and no-control both make good points. My own view is that the features they mention will make it into Windows 8 over time, or some form of them will. For example, single instance storage is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds and, with data volumes steadily increasing, I only see that trend continuing.

I would hope it grows in popularity but out of curiosity, where else have you seen it popular?

Besides WHS, I know DropBox and some other online storage companies are now using, or planning to implement, single instance storage. Commvault, a major enterprise backup system provider, has a feature they call de-duping - IOW single instance storage.

Like you, I hope it continues.

Besides single instance, I like the alerts and monitoring. I have 7 systems on 1 whs and 5 on a second. With 3 of the 5 being remote system. Yet i know get alerts on all stating who is behind on virus protection or patching as well as backups meaning less time playing sysadmin to the relatives and more time podcasting