RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Z77's are at NewEgg

Joe_Miner

I really like the UD5H. Targeting that for my next build when Ivy Bridge chips hit.

Got my eye on that one too. Downloaded the manual for the UD5H last night for some "Ivy" reading/drooling :)

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 2 months later...

Currently running WHS 2011 on an older Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU (95W) and 8 GB DDR2 RAM. Had the hardware lying around unused at the time. Looking to upgrade this WHS2011 box that runs 24x7x365 to an Ivy Bridge.

Was looking to upgrade this WHS 2011 box to:

Gigabte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8 Ghz (3.5 Ghz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 PC3 12800 F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL

I liked the idea of a 65W quad ivy bridge CPU. Core i5 seems like more than enough, Core i7 would be overkill. Would one of the 77W Core i5 CPUs be more practical? Also my logic was to add 16 GB of RAM without taking up all 4 RAM slots on this board. room for 32 GB in future depending on limits of Windows Server 2012.

Please let me know your thoughts on the CPU? Was hoping to order today while Newegg still has a promo on the motherboard and RAM.

Thanks!

Youj haven't said what you're using it for. If your not doing things like transcoding, you don't even need an i5. You could go for an i3 and save even more power.