RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Need recommendations for a new, consumer wireless router with better control

ikon

Exactly. I'm not sure why folks persist in recommending that router. That is relatively expensive for an 802.11g single band. Does running Tomato somehow give it N capabilities?

LOL, yeah, it's another case of software miraculously giving a device new hardware capabilities (good thing it's Easter I guess ;) ).

I do understand the 'persistence' of the WRT54GL. It is/was a great 802.11g router when paired with Tomato (and even DD-WRT). However, the world has moved on and 802.11n is the new standard. I'm afraid the days of the WRT54GL are coming to an end.

BTW, as far as routers go, virtually the entire line of Buffalo routers now come with DD-WRT pre-loaded.

mrossco

I've been happy with my Cisco E3200. QoS works fairly well in terms of prioritizing traffic. They're going on sale now because Cisco has launched new EA versions that have Cloud apps that give you instantaneous control, which sounds like may be helpful in your situation. When your son starts going on a bandwidth spree, you can actually cut him off right from your phone (according to the marketing).

Definitely purchase an 8-port 10/100/1000 switch and plug all your wired devices into it. Then plug your switch in the router when you're ready to add ports. It sounds like it might be a waste, but it definitely helps network performance, especially when you have streaming media on your local network (shared music, video, etc.)

Rod at home

Thank you very much, everyone, for this great feedback. (Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was having problems making any replies work.)

ikon

Let us know what you end up with and how it works out.