RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
leeism

Folder sharing, security and web access

jmwills

Find a user account(s) that has the properties you desire, and base the access for the new account on the properties of the one(s) that work.

leeism

Ok I have tried looking at a working users groups created through the dashboard, then adding a new user created through users and groups, same deal still can log in through web access.

Is there any command I should be running to ensure the policy updates have taken place? As far as I can see the only way to get a user to actually be able to log in through web access it to create them through the dashboard. I have checked all attributes of both users and they are the same.

Can anyone work this out? I am nearly at the point of thinking something has gone wrong with the install.

ikon

I seriously doubt anything went wrong with the install. You could always re-install to test but I think you'll get the same results. The more likely issue is that one or more parameters aren't set. My issue is I haven't done serious Windows admin in a long time so I don't remember the details.

jmwills

Is the user you created a memeber of the Remote Desktop Users Group?

leeism

Thanks ikon

Hey wills, neither of the users are members of the remote desktop users group, would they need to be? If that is the case why are none of the users created through the dashboard members?

Thanks

jmwills

Sorry, I was the thinking of the Remote Web Access Group. The easiet way to complete this task is to go into Computer Management/Users and find an account you know is working, Right Click>Copy and then create the new account. The attributes should be carried forward.

leeism

Hi Wills

There is no copy function when right clicking a user that I can find. In the help it doesnt mention it either. Is there any other versions of windows that offer the "web access" function that isnt so "dumbed down"?

Thanks

jmwills

Evidently that is only an AD function. Is the user you created a member of this group?

RA_AllowRemoteAccess - log in via the web

leeism

Yeah the user is a member of that group,

jmwills

I'd start your process over again. I've created about a dozen special folders with various access levels but stayed with the account created in the dashboard for RWW access. I'd look thru those dashboard screens carefully to see if it can be enabled from there.