RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
leeism

Folder sharing, security and web access

leeism

Hi All

This is my first post and I am pretty new to this stuff but am looking for some ideas on the issues I am seeing with my new install of WHS2011.

I am trying to figure out how to use groups to control folder sharing but it seems that all of it has to be done through the dashboard, my questions are:

1. If I create a group in local users and groups should I just be able to add uses to the group and then add that group to the security tab on the folders properties?
  2. Will that replicate to the Web Access? As it seems that if I grant access to a user through the Web Access but restrict it in the folder security the user still have access on the Web
  3. is there any difference with security access using web access compared to the local network access?

Thanks

Lee

pcdoc

WHS is designed to set up from the dash board. You create users, give them access rights, and you are good to go. It can be done other ways but it can get messy. What stops you from just setting up users? What are you trying to accomplish?

leeism

Thanks, I dont really want to have to set up all the users every time I set up a share, so I was hoping to create a few groups to just add people them.

So when you mention it can be done other ways, what are they please?

Lee

jmwills

As pcdoc said, WHS is designed for the first time user to help facilitate the sharing of data. Unless you fully understand File and Share Permissions, you can grant access to data that you did not otherwise intend to do.

If you do not want to use the built-in groups, the first thing to do would be to setup Security Groups and then populate those groups with Users. Two important concepts you need to understand are Share Permissions and File Permissions. Think of Share Permissions as Window Shopping, everyone can see the Folder that contains the data, but only those with the appropriate File Permissions can enter the folder and access the data.

yodafett

Hi All

This is my first post and I am pretty new to this stuff but am looking for some ideas on the issues I am seeing with my new install of WHS2011.

I am trying to figure out how to use groups to control folder sharing but it seems that all of it has to be done through the dashboard, my questions are:

1. If I create a group in local users and groups should I just be able to add uses to the group and then add that group to the security tab on the folders properties?
  2. Will that replicate to the Web Access? As it seems that if I grant access to a user through the Web Access but restrict it in the folder security the user still have access on the Web
  3. is there any difference with security access using web access compared to the local network access?

Thanks

Lee

You would need to add the group to both the Security Tab and Share Tab of the folder your shareing with appropriate permissions With only a 10 person limit on WHS2011 and the ease of giving the permissions through the dashboard I think in the end it would be easier to just go via user. If using SBS2011 then I could see the need of using the group method. We do the group thing at work and end up having a different group for every dept and even that dets messy at times.

leeism

Thanks all,

So bryan if I just create the group in users and groups and then add it to both the security and sharing tabs on the properties of the folder how will that effect the "web access" setup I have created with the users? Am I able to switch those to "no access" and let the groups take control of the permissions?

Thanks again

jmwills

By default, everyone will have access, so IMO, give everyone Share Access and those who need the files the Security Permissions to use the files.

yodafett

If you go to computer Management there will be serveral new groups that you have not used in the past

WSSUsers are WHSUsers but are unable to log into the PC unlike a standard User

the rest are self explanitory with RA standing for Remote Access

RA_AllowAddInAccess - Load any addiin give by Default

RA_AllowComputerAccess - RDP

RA_AllowDashboardAccess - Access Management Dashboard (your account and maybe 1 backup)

RA_AllowHomepagelinks - Links at bottom of login page

RA_AllowMediaAccess - play music and videos via web

RA_AllowNetworkAlertAccess - admin users only

RA_AllowRemoteAccess - log in via the web

RA_AllowShareAccess - default share level access via web

A User needing access to only a share folder needs Addin, RemoteAccess and ShareAccess plus WSS Users

leeism

ok, so I created a user through users and groups (not the dashboard) and added Addin, RemoteAccess and ShareAccess plus WSS Users, but still when accessing through web access the "tester" account i created fails to authenticate.

Do I have to create through dashboard or not?

Thanks a lot for your help with this

Lee

ikon

AFAIK, you not have to create through the Dashboard, but it is a whole lot easier. The issues you are encountering are exactly the kind of thing pcdoc and jmwills were alluding to. User Rights can get complicated. I don't blame Windows per se; it's just that people want all kinds of odd exceptions to access rights and the whole thing gets complicated. They think what they want is simple but, in reality, it isn't.