RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I get the HP EX485 or build my own

alex1002

Not enough detail in the question for an intelligent answer. The 485 is no longer in production. Are you considering buying used? How much. Regarding building your own, do you already possess some of the parts from computer upgrades and such? If so, which ones. Do you already have a copy of WHS? It comes with the 485.

If you want something small and attractive, HP MSS is the way to go. I enjoy using and looking at mine every day.

Unless it cheap, pass.

The EX485/7 only support 1 esata drive, not like the EX470/5 that supports a case with 4 drives or the EX490/5 that supports a case with 5 drives. Unless that's not important to you. You can always add drives by USB but that slower.

alex1002,

You will find varied results on this forum with your question so you might want to tell us what you are looking to accomplish. If you want an easy, small and fairly inexpensive solution, go with a current model HP. They are small and easy to tuck away, use very little power, come with extras pre-installed, and come with technical support (assuming you buy it new). If you have existing hardware or you want to build massive amounts of internal storage (like I do) then consider building your own but as Feynmanfan stated, you will have to buy a copy of WHS if you do not already own it.

@Alex1002 Execellent posts by everyone here, the link by ImTheTypeOfGuy would have been a boon for me if it were posted a year and a half ago. Great stuff here btw. Are you looking for massive storage (like above) or a basic system as in one or two drives?

I was looking to buy recently too. I already have an HP MSS LX195 but I was thinking of setting that up at a relatives house. That way they have backup and I have some free offsite storage. I also have 2x WHS licenses and some suitable hardware (old Athlon 64 X2 4800+).

I haven

There is a link below that talks about the difference. I would not use the X2 as that CPU draws far more power and runs fairly hot which is not a good combo for a server. Get the 490 as it has a faster processor. If you decide to pursue a home build consider getting a lower power processor.

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/13037/EX495-vs.-EX490-vs.-LX195-Which-MediaSmart-Server-is-Right-For-Me/