RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L Hard Drive Configuration

Easton

I've got my N36L MicroServer setup and working fine with Windows Server 2008 R2, although I still can't figure out how to access it via a web browser on my Mac.

I currently have the Windows OS installed on the included 160GB hard drive in hard drive bay 1.

I'd like to transfer the OS to a 2.5" hard drive or an SSD if it will be worth it?, and put it between the hard drive bay/s and the DVD drive I have installed. I'd like to use the 4x 3.5" drives for a RAID 1 setup.

I'm guessing I'd have to use the eSata port that is on the back as I have a DVD drive installed?

Will having the OS via the eSata port work OK?

Will I have to modify anything realted to software or hardware?

What is the recommended way to transfer the OS?

Thanks

What web site did you setup to be accessed? By default, Server OS's are just that, an operating system, without a web site defined.

To transfer the OS, you could image the current install and then transfer to a 60 gig SSD which is plenty for the OS. There is another sata port on the mainboard just adjacent to the port occupied by the mini-SAS cable that connects the backplane to the mainboard.

You can get an ESata to Sata cable from a variety of places such as Monoprice.

• Like 1

What web site did you setup to be accessed? By default, Server OS's are just that, an operating system, without a web site defined.

To transfer the OS, you could image the current install and then transfer to a 60 gig SSD which is plenty for the OS. There is another sata port on the mainboard just adjacent to the port occupied by the mini-SAS cable that connects the backplane to the mainboard.

You can get an ESata to Sata cable from a variety of places such as Monoprice.

Hello, thanks for the fast reply.

I'm trying to get the Windows desktop to display on a Mac on my local network. For configuration etc. IE Put the static IP of the MicroServer in a web address on a local network Mac and I get nothing.

I followed this but it didn't work;

I think I may have used the other Sata port for the DVD Drive?

So I can just image to another hard drive and use the eSata port for connection and change the boot priority?

Any program you would recomend to image the hard drive on a Mac.

Thanks Again

One thing you might want to do is to use the hacked bios that is inour forums so your 5th and 6th Sata ports operate at 3gbs and not 1.5

Hello, thanks for the fast reply.

I'm trying to get the Windows desktop to display on a Mac on my local network. For configuration etc. IE Put the static IP of the MicroServer in a web address on a local network Mac and I get nothing.

I followed this but it didn't work;

I think I may have used the other Sata port for the DVD Drive?

So I can just image to another hard drive and use the eSata port for connection and change the boot priority?

Any program you would recomend to image the hard drive on a Mac.

Thanks Again

You will need to use the Windows account that has access under Remote Services and then authenticate with that account. If nothing works, you could use LogmeIn Free, even though both would be on the same LAN segment. I seem to remember that Microsoft released a RDP connector for the MAC. Sorry, thats all I can add as i do not live in that ecosystem.

You will need to use the Windows account that has access under Remote Services and then authenticate with that account. If nothing works, you could use LogmeIn Free, even though both would be on the same LAN segment. I seem to remember that Microsoft released a RDP connector for the MAC. Sorry, thats all I can add as i do not live in that ecosystem.

RDP connector for Mac worked perfectly. Thanks heaps.

Now I don't have the hassle of connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse to change or configuer anything.

One thing you might want to do is to use the hacked bios that is inour forums so your 5th and 6th Sata ports operate at 3gbs and not 1.5

Sorry for my ignorance, but what runs of the 5th and 6th port?

Is there a link to the BIOS?

I'm not ultra techy so I don't want to brick my MicroServer trying to change something around.

Edited by Easton

Sorry for my ignorance, but what runs of the 5th and 6th port?

Is there a link to the BIOS?

I'm not ultra techy so I don't want to brick my MicroServer trying to change something around.

Check this article and the links in it http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-n40l-build-and-bios-modification.html

Also, be sure to check out the threads under the MicroServer Forum http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/67-hp-microserver/

If you're out of SATA ports, you can try a SATA to USB adapter to move your DVD drive to an internal USB port. I don't know much about the Microserver, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I've done this with other mini-ITX builds where SATA ports were at a premium, and it's worked out well for me so far. There's even some good adapters out there to allow you to cram a slimline (laptop) dvd drive and a handful of 2.5" drives into a single 5.25" slot. Here's one example:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52_87_137&products_id=33476

Does anyone know if the eSATA port is on its own controller, or is it off the Intel chipset? If there's a third-party JMicron or Marvell controller providing additional SATA ports, booting from these hasn't always worked well for me in the past.