RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
axoid

Work PC build

cskenney

But they let you walk out there with a USB Flash Drive? What good is an encrypted laptop if you can do that? Not criticizing...just seems contradictory.

Same thing happens at my company (another Fortune 500). Laptops are all encrypted but you can use a USB Flash Drive.

We also can't use any cloud services from within the company but I can take my laptop home and access anything I want.

mrossco

I'm putting the finishing touches on a rig for similar purposes, so I had some thoughts I might share...

• Motherboard says P9X79 PRO, but the link is for the Sabertooth. Stick with the Sabertooth or even go Intel DX79SI. You're not overclocking, there aren't any noisy chipset fans, and you get dual NICs instead of an add-on SATA III controller that has been getting sorry reviews anyway. You also shave about $70 off the price tag.
  • Go for a bigger data drive. By the time you download software and tools and host the occasional database sandbox, you'll be glad you did.
  • Video card is fine. The fan annoys me a bit, but I'm not aware of any compilers that are GPU accelerated unless you are doing CUDA or DirectCompute development.
  • Power supply seems a tad weak, but I think that's just my inner child talking. Should be fine.
  • If this is for work, and you'll be spending 8+ hours a day in front of this thing, consider picking up some U-series monitors from the Dell Outlet instead of those Acers. You want IPS as it will be easier on your eyesight and they swivel, which comes in handy if you're coding on one screen and viewing requirements/specs/forums on another.

yodafett

I'm putting the finishing touches on a rig for similar purposes, so I had some thoughts I might share...

• Motherboard says P9X79 PRO, but the link is for the Sabertooth. Stick with the Sabertooth or even go Intel DX79SI. You're not overclocking, there aren't any noisy chipset fans, and you get dual NICs instead of an add-on SATA III controller that has been getting sorry reviews anyway. You also shave about $70 off the price tag.
  • Go for a bigger data drive. By the time you download software and tools and host the occasional database sandbox, you'll be glad you did.
  • Video card is fine. The fan annoys me a bit, but I'm not aware of any compilers that are GPU accelerated unless you are doing CUDA or DirectCompute development.
  • Power supply seems a tad weak, but I think that's just my inner child talking. Should be fine.
  • If this is for work, and you'll be spending 8+ hours a day in front of this thing, consider picking up some U-series monitors from the Dell Outlet instead of those Acers. You want IPS as it will be easier on your eyesight and they swivel, which comes in handy if you're coding on one screen and viewing requirements/specs/forums on another.

Definately go for the Dell u2312, at half the cost of the u2411 getting 2-4 gives you alot bang for the buck

pcdoc

Same thing happens at my company (another Fortune 500). Laptops are all encrypted but you can use a USB Flash Drive.

We also can't use any cloud services from within the company but I can take my laptop home and access anything I want.

Difinetly sounds like corporate america. We have the same thing. Logic is a bit lacking but what can you do.

ikon

I wholeheartedly agree about the monitors. Go big, go IPS, or go home.