RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Laptop Hard Drive Capacity

mattd390

I was listening to the HSS podcast 178 and heard 2 TB laptop hard drives mentioned. Do they really make them with that much capacity already?? I looked on newegg.com and only saw 1 TB drives. Just curious :).

I have a 500 gig now and see no reason to stay that large. Seriously thinking about going to a 128 gig SSD, it it wern't such a pain to replace the HDD in the Dell XPS.

All the data is on the server, or at least what I need to go back to, so the only new data wouldn't be that much from a volume standpoint.

I have a 500 gig now and see no reason to stay that large. Seriously thinking about going to a 128 gig SSD, it it wern't such a pain to replace the HDD in the Dell XPS.

All the data is on the server, or at least what I need to go back to, so the only new data wouldn't be that much from a volume standpoint.

SSD is the way to go for sure, I just was double checking on the 2 TB laptop capacities. I actually only use a 60 GB SSD in my laptop lol. I wouldnt mind a 128 GB for a little more head room though. Those 2 TB drives would be cool for someone squeezing 6 2.5" drives in a 6 2.5" drive bay adapter in a microserver I guess. :)

1.5 is max 2.5 but those are 1/2 thick server drives. 1 tb sata are max currently on standard laptop slots

I'm sure 2TB laptop drives are coming. Seagate just announced they have managed to stuff 1 Tb of data on 1 square inch of platter media. Drives using this technology won't be out for some years yet, but it's coming..... :)

1.5 is max 2.5 but those are 1/2 thick server drives. 1 tb sata are max currently on standard laptop slots

That is what I thought, thanks for verifying! I swear I had heard Diehard say 2 TB once or twice in a podcast and thought I was going nuts :D.

That is what I thought, thanks for verifying! I swear I had heard Diehard say 2 TB once or twice in a podcast and thought I was going nuts :D.

Does one really have anything to do with the other :D <j/k>