RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

hey pcdoc

ikon

pcdoc, I'm starting to run out of space on my PCIe Revo drive. I would like to have all of Office, Adobe CS5 Production Premium, and Lightroom on the SSD (as well as other stuff of course), but 111GB is a bit tight.

I'm thinking of going up to a 240GB SSD. But, which one? The Revo has spoiled me: it has around 450MB/s write and 500+MB/sec read.

Which SSD would you use at this point? Please bear in mind, besides speed, I do want an SSD that will last 5 years if possible. It will be used on a Win7 system (the one I built last year).

Can you afford the full Faucher? Once you start down that path, there's no looking back! :lol:

pcdoc, I'm starting to run out of space on my PCIe Revo drive. I would like to have all of Office, Adobe CS5 Production Premium, and Lightroom on the SSD (as well as other stuff of course), but 111GB is a bit tight.

I'm thinking of going up to a 240GB SSD. But, which one? The Revo has spoiled me: it has around 450MB/s write and 500+MB/sec read.

Which SSD would you use at this point? Please bear in mind, besides speed, I do want an SSD that will last 5 years if possible. It will be used on a Win7 system (the one I built last year).

Gents, flaterry will get you everywhere...

ikon,

I guess the answer to the question will depend on budget. I would go with the one I put in which is the MAX IOPS V3. It uses the lower density flash which still sports the 10k writes vs the standard drives at 5k. It is fast, very fast, and in my opinion a very reliable drive.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227715

As an alternative (which I have not run) is the new Vertex 4 built off the Indilinx controller. It appears to be very strong

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-4-everest-2-benchmark,3172-10.html

Here is my write up on the V3: http://thedocsworld....0-gig-max-iops/

Guest no-control

I just upgraded to a pair of 256GB Crucial M4. While not a speedy as Doc's MAXIOPS. IMO much better price performance ratio. $380 for Doc's drive $290 for mine. Difference is most likely negligible. I'll have the m4 review up after the podcast on Sunday.

thx. I look that up too. One of my concerns is not getting something slower than my Revo, since I'm already used to that speed.

thx. I look that up too. One of my concerns is not getting something slower than my Revo, since I'm already used to that speed.

Definitely look up the new Vertex 4. Although not demonstrably faster that the Vertex 3, it a bit cheaper and it has more rounded performance. It will not make trade in my MI 3's but the next time I need an SSD I will give at try. The other issue is that you will gain trim support on single drives so your performance will be more consistent over time.

Definitely look up the new Vertex 4. Although not demonstrably faster that the Vertex 3, it a bit cheaper and it has more rounded performance. It will not make trade in my MI 3's but the next time I need an SSD I will give at try. The other issue is that you will gain trim support on single drives so your performance will be more consistent over time.

I've wondered about that with my Revo but, to be honest, I haven't noticed any degradation. I just recently did a fresh install and it's no faster than before.