RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Atom/Ion Media Center Users... Quick Question?

eobie

Hey everybody!

Was thinking about building another HTPC to use as a slave to my main HTPC. I was hoping to grab one of these Atom/Ion Mini-ITX boards as they are cheap... and quiet.

One concern I have is that I was wondering what the performance is like when decoding MKV with DTS. I would be using the DIVX 7 splitter with ffmpeg audio as the Directshow audio codec. I am aware that DIVX 7 is native to Windows Media Foundation and uses hardware acceleration, so the Ion should be able to handle the video with no problem. My real concern is that the audio will be decoded by the CPU.... and we all know that the Atom is lack-luster when performance is needed.

I know Dave is running one of these boards but I do not remember him ever discussing this issue. If anybody is out there (Dave included) that has this setup, could you please post your results?

Thanks!!!

It's audio, so with the Atom you should be fine. Pick the 330 model so that way you have two CPU's doing the work. Maybe wait 1 month for the new Intel D510 here.

My 2 cents,

thanks for the suggestion. that board doesn't look like it would work too well for a htpc. no hdmi, no spidf, no Ion.. :( I'll keep an eye out for more info on that processor though. :)

Honestly, how much work would it be to convert all of your DTS coded files to AC3? That would make things alot easier and might be worth the one-time conversion.

i would like to pass the dts to spidf when i want to experience the awesome.. play in stereo when the wife is around, lol. besides, converting hundreds of movies would take weeks.

Looks like I need to test SPIDF output on my Zotac board huh? I'm running audio over HDMI to the TV right now and it's two channel only. I have yet to really test this board but it's been running fine for normal every-day viewing.
I also need to test recording two HD streams to it and playback of another. I think Jose O. was interested in that one.

thanks dave. are the files you are playing MKV? what directshow audio filter are you using, ffmpeg audio or ac3filter?

newegg has this motherboard now. i am wondering if these things will work with the new internal ceton cablecard adaptors coming out Q1 2010.

I would think that the Zotac folks will be coming out with a D510 comparable board with all of the fixing for a HTPC...but I'm speculating... ;)