RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transfer Speeds

Hawnted

When transferring files to my WHS from my laptop connected to my Wireless-N network, I get speeds around 5 MB/s. That seems awful slow. Shouldn't these be closer to 50-60 MB/s? Any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting? My CPU and RAM utilization look normal. Disk I/O as well.

Thanks

When transferring files to my WHS from my laptop connected to my Wireless-N network, I get speeds around 5 MB/s. That seems awful slow. Shouldn't these be closer to 50-60 MB/s? Any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting? My CPU and RAM utilization look normal. Disk I/O as well.

Thanks

You will never transfer 50-60 on wifi. If you are lucky you will be in the 15-30 range on a good setup. 5 Seems a bit slow. What is the distance we are talking about? Have you set it to WPA 2, AES, N-Only settings? You typically need AES Cipher mode to maximize the speed and that is only available on WPA 2. What kind of router are we talking about?

pcdoc is correct about the 50-60 MB throughput. The problem here is, are you using 802.11N and, if so, which version of N; there are a number of them? If you had a wireless AP that offered 64-QAM modulation and 40 MHZ channel width you could, in theory, get up to 60 MB/sec, but there are virtually no consumer routers that have those features and reality never meets theory in any case. It's also highly unlikely that your computers' wireless has these features.

50 MB/sec translates to 500 Mb/sec, which is awfully fast for consumer wireless.

I will take exception with pcdoc on one point: AES is not only available with WPA2. Many routers today, and both Tomato and DD-WRT firmware, offer WPA protocol with AES cipher. For example, pretty much every Buffalo router now comes with DD-WRT, and it can be flashed onto many others.

pcdoc is correct about the 50-60 MB throughput. The problem here is, are you using 802.11N and, if so, which version of N; there are a number of them? If you had a wireless AP that offered 64-QAM modulation and 40 MHZ channel width you could, in theory, get up to 60 MB/sec, but there are virtually no consumer routers that have those features and reality never meets theory in any case. It's also highly unlikely that your computers' wireless has these features.

50 MB/sec translates to 500 Mb/sec, which is awfully fast for consumer wireless.

I will take exception with pcdoc on one point: AES is not only available with WPA2. Many routers today, and both Tomato and DD-WRT firmware, offer WPA protocol with AES cipher. For example, pretty much every Buffalo router now comes with DD-WRT, and it can be flashed onto many others.

You are correct about the routers but some adapter or devices cannot fully exploit that. Apple for example needs WPA2 to exploit AES. My old Dlink supported AES with WPA however I still believe WPA2 to be faster using AES so if you can use it, you will get better performance.

I can't speak specifically to any throughput differences between WPA and WPA2, but I certainly would use WPA2 if all the devices support it, which is becoming truer all the time.

One issue that can come up is trying to use WDS with WPA2. More and more implementations now allow WPA2 with WDS, but there are still a lot of legacy systems that only allow WDS with WPA. DD-WRT recently added this functionality.

Quick question. Have you tried this on a wired network? Don't immediately assume this is caused by wifi. Write performance could be slow on your server...

Quick question. Have you tried this on a wired network? Don't immediately assume this is caused by wifi. Write performance could be slow on your server...

Great Point. 5 MB would be however a bit extreme.