RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Server Restore Help

N_Nescio

Greetings gang,

I want to restore my C:\ Drive. I've done it before with no problems, because the latest back up was sufficient. This time, I want to go back to yesterday 4/4/2012 at noon. When pressing F8 at boot and having it scan the backup disk, it only offers the most recent back up. Going Advanced doesn't help, as it still only lists the latest backup. I can't seem to find a way to locate the other backups when using the F8 method.

The server is running fairly fine (I'm having VSS problems...catastophic VSS failure in event viewer, an error showing up on the shadow copies tab for each disk, Clients back up fine, but server backups are now failing, etc...). I think it's related to some software I installed that didn't work out to well. After I uninstalled it, I started seeing the errors.

I *can* locate that 4/4/2012 noon backup when going through the Dashboard Restore Files/Folders/Disk wizard.

My bacckup drive is a USB 3.0 External Dock. When I restored the first time, I had to unplug it, and plug it back in to a USB 2.0 port...it wouldn't get seen otherwise. But it did work fine after that.

If I use the Dashboard to complete the C:\ drive restore, is it going to complete with that backup on the USB 3.0 drive?

Basically, what's the best and safest way for me to get to that 4/4/2012 image, and restore it?

Thank you so much in advance,

NN

The VSS issue is probably related to something specific. Restoring may not resolve that. Typically problems are attributed to either low space allocation to the VSS, inability to access the drive or a variety of other reasons. Which drive are getting issue from? What exactly is the error (view the error log)?

Context:

Provider ID: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Snapshot Context: 29

Log Name: Application

Source: VSS

Date: 4/4/2012 6:30:35 PM

Event ID: 12293

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SERVER

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::QueryVolumesSupportedForSnapshots(ProviderId,29,...) [hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure

].

Operation:

Query volumes supported by this provider

Context:

Provider ID: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Snapshot Context: 29

Log Name: Application

Source: VSS

Date: 4/4/2012 7:02:54 PM

Event ID: 22

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SERVER

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered

].

Operation:

Instantiating VSS server

On each drive's Shadow Copy tab, I get:

Failed to retrieve volumes that are eligible for shadow copies.

Error 0x80004230f The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.

I installed the software, played around with it and then finally uninstalled it (it looked like a clean uninstall) right around the 1800-1830 time frame.

It was BCWipe v5, which is supposed to be Server 2008 Compliant.

BCWipe v.5.03.2

4.4 MB | 32/64 bit | Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008 Server, 2003 Server, 2000

Thanks Doc

NN

Edited by N_Nescio

Ok, I solved my original problem. When you start a restore by pressing F8 during boot up and choosing "Repair Computer"...the initial window after the drive scan just shows the backup disk it found. It's a little misleading as it lists the backup disk and shows the last backup only, making (me at least) think that that was the only backup you can restore. But if you click 'Next', it'll then show you all the backups available. I was able to go back to the backup I wanted.

Thanks,

NN

Yes, and for all the complaining I did during the 'Drive Extender Gone' era, I really like 2011. I'm waiting until noon when the backup kicks off, to see if it is all fixed. I did click on the Shadow Copies Tab for the drives, and it showed them, where before it had an error...so fingers crossed.

NN

Yes, and for all the complaining I did during the 'Drive Extender Gone' era, I really like 2011. I'm waiting until noon when the backup kicks off, to see if it is all fixed. I did click on the Shadow Copies Tab for the drives, and it showed them, where before it had an error...so fingers crossed.

NN

Well, glad you got addressed. Sounds like something got corrupted. Since this is usually not a coincidence, what add-ins, AV, bit torrents, or other utilities do have running?

Well, the 11PM and 12 Noon backups completed without incident...so it looks good. I did have a weird problem after the restore, where the USB External Backup Drive wouldn't get recognized. It wouldn't show up anywhere...not in Explorer, or anywhere in the Dashboard. When I tried to start the Back up Server Task, it would scan and then error out that the Backup Policy could not be found and I should 'Customize'??? So I went into Server Manager (My system has a KB, Mouse, and Monitor...I use it...security cameras, email server, etc...) and set up a backup through that, which was successful, and when i went back into the dashboard...there it was. So I think it's back to normal.

Doc,

The only add in I have is Aweico Drive Info. I do run other programs, but I really think it was the BCWipe program. During one operation, it popped up saying that 'System Restore' was active and that that was not recommended...and did I want it to disable it. Now, we know 2011 doesn't have System Restore per se, so bad coding on their part there, but it was probably seeing VSS. I chose 'No' to the warning, but after that I started seeing problems...so I think it was BCWipe.

NN