RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Don W

Has anyone tried FreeNAS?

Don W

Last week I decided to try and tackle FreeNAS and gave up after a week. I like how easy it was to install and that it ran off of a USB flash drive., but I was having a hard time with permissions on the share's I created. I wanted to make a share for movies and wanted all the other PC's in my house to have read only permission and for me to have full access to be able to delete, but I could not figure it out. Either everyone had read or everyone had full permissions. Has anyone here had luck with FreeNAS??

Don

yodafett

I have tried freenas and did not like its throughput, it is simpler on the usb install

I prefer openfiler as my NAS of choice

http://www.y-wing.net/OpenFilerWHS.pdf

Don W

I have tried freenas and did not like its throughput, it is simpler on the usb install

I prefer openfiler as my NAS of choice

http://www.y-wing.net/OpenFilerWHS.pdf

The reason I went with the new FreeNAS 8 is ZFS and Z-RAID, did you try FreeNAS 7 or 8???

yodafett

nah, i mainly use it for iSCSI connections mainly

hazzey

I currently use FreeNAS 9 (aka NAS4Free). This is an update of FreeNAS 7 that parted ways with the current company that owns the FreeNAS name. I mention this because its main purpose is to make availible all of the newer features of ZFS while still working on older hardware. It also is much more mature and feature complete when compared to FreeNAS 8 (don't get too confused with the version numberings).

To your points, permissions have continuously been an issue for me, I just give all logins full permissions. Even this doesn't work well with some of the linux servers that I have connecting to it. I just use it to provide shares over SMB (cifs), so I can't say how iSCSI works. That is a future plan for me.

One of the main reasons why I am even on this forum is that I am looking for a replacement to FreeNAS, but I haven't found one that has intrigued me enough to put it to hard use on my network. I do like the benefits of ZFS though, so I would recommend going toward a NAS server that offers that ability.

• Like 1

Nnyan

FreeNAS was fine I just had too many issues (that as a non-linux geek with limited time) that I could not resolve.  NASFree is very nice and I have nothing negative to say about it.  EON, Nexenta, ZFS Guru, SmartOS are all very good and have specific quirks.  At the end for my critical file store I ended up using OmniOS with Napp-it.  Very easy, even I had it up and running in under an hour and it's been chugging away for about 2 months now without an once of thought on my part.  Even my WHS box backs up to that.