RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yodafett

At SNW this week, any request

ikon

Does SNW stand for something?

yodafett

Storage Networking World.

16Gb fiber, ssd sans, cloud storage, Otherwords it's HSS for business's with deep pockets or PCDocs house.

Joe_Miner

16Gb fiber, ssd sans, cloud storage, Otherwords it's HSS for business's with deep pockets or PCDocs house.

The Business Continuity and Virtulization tracks look interesting........................

yodafett

I'm doing business and backup with win server 8 dedup at the end of today. Tomorrow is virtualization.

ikon

Is the event being held in pcdoc's basement? :D

yodafett

Just got out of a work shop on LTFS, I might be in love, with LTO5 can now read and write to it like a normal disk, perfect for storing music and movies on. Currently you can only get insurance in Hollywood if you archive your movies this way. Might be what we need to look at for long term storage of our tapes tv seasons and movies rips, can literally play the movie straight from tape. Now for he drive cost to come down.

ikon

How do they plan to handle the wear and tear on the tape since it seems it would have to go back and forth a lot in order to handle random access. That was always the issue with tape.

yodafett

Actually lto has less bit failure than Sata or sas hd. I see it more for nearline archiving of all those files people put out on servers and never touch again.

ikon

I wasn't really worrying about the bit error rate per se; more the wear and tear on the physical tape itself; the 'oxide' getting worn off.