RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS to remote WHS backup?

wclaus1

I have an EX485 at my house and an EX485 at my Dads house.
Does anyone have any tips for sending my backups to my Dads WHS and vice-versa?

You know, in the event of a house fire or theft and not going to the cloud for backup.

Thanks. (I wasn't sure how to search for this topic, or if it has been covered, or why it might not be a good idea)

You will probably need to create a vpn or use something like Hamachi, then use WHS BDBB to transfer the backup files. However, unless both homes have good upload speed, this is probably going to be very slow.

Yep CookiePuss your right.

I would add that you do this first backup onsite then all subsequent backups offsite.

If your bandwith is an issue and your dad lives close by, you can also try just BDBB and backup to an external USB drive that has 2 partition. One for You one for Dad, copy your PC backups to the You Partition then bring that drive to your dad's and copy his PC backups to the Dad partition then leave him the drive.

Then your dad buys a USB Hard drive and does the same. This way you can rotate the drive once a week with each other and each one of you will have a USB hard drive with yours and dad's backups. You can alertnate each week on who the courrier is so you only have to travel once every 2 weeks.
WHS adds to family bonding.

Hi wclaus1, I just want to clarify what "my backups" means...are you referring to the backups of PC's on your network, or the data (files) on your WHS. If it's just the files on your WHS, you can use something like CrashPlan to transfer back and forth. Do the initial sync on site, and then the changes are sent over the internet. I use this between different WHS boxes, and it works great.

If you're talking about backing up a BDBB export, that's usually quite a large chunk of data that is completely new every time you export it so something like Diehard's portable hdd plan may work better there.

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I am surprised that this isn't a more popular subject.
Yes, I was talking about the PC backup files from my network. I don't really want to do the portable hard drive route as it's an hour away and I only get there about once every few weeks. I will look at Hamachi and see if I can figure a way to do BDBB transfers. We both have Comcast cable with good up/down speeds.

I hope you don't have bandwidth caps...I know my backup database is north of 300gb, which is probably excessive, so I hope yours is much smaller because good luck sending 10's of gb's of data every week back and forth!

I mentioned this on the podcast (79), but I think a really good option to back up the backups is to use an ioSafe. Waterproof, fireproof and even a hole to bolt it down so it can't be stolen is a great way to protect yourself from danger. I bought one last summer and wouldn't think twice about trusting it with everything. It's also a bunch faster than moving it all to the cloud. Just my thoughts.