RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Issues, but no SMART events

C4Tech

This morning, I noticed my WHS 2011 box was sick. I couldn't connect to it and since it's a MediaSmart I can't connect a monitor. After a power-off/on cycle, I checked the Event Log and noticed lots of "Bad Sector" and "Relocated sector" errors on my boot drive. I checked the Home Server Smart add in (v2.2.3.17) and it shows the same 2 SMART errors which appearsed about 3 years ago...nothing new. Also Stablebit Scanner showed all drives as OK. I moved my data off, and during the moving, Windows event viewer continued to report Bad Sector errors.

I'm assuming the hard drive is in fact dying, but why don't the add-ins show the errors?

After running a backup, I'm going to have Stablebit scanner do another scan, then maybe I'll pull the drive and run it through SpinRite.

Any thoughts?......brian

It's disappointing to hear Stablebit Scanner didn't show anything. Do you have it set to scan the drives on a regular basis? I concur with the plan to run the drive through Spinrite. Although it takes a long time, I run it at Level 4 for drive re-certification.

Looks like Stablebit scaanner is set to scan every 30 days. That's probably why it didn't detect anything.

I'm still waiting for my server backup to complete. I'll let you know what scanner finds once that is done.....brian

A quick update

- it looks like the event messages I'm seeing are just telling me over and over again about the 2 smart errors which occurred a couple of years ago. That is why the smart addin isn't showing higher numbers.

- stable it scanner ran clean

- while scanning, a smart error appeared on a different drive....(sigh)

I'm planning on running spinrite over the weekend....brian

You might also want to consider replacing either power and/or SATA Cable for that drive.

You might also want to consider replacing either power and/or SATA Cable for that drive.

What is it with all these cheapo SATA cables? I've never heard of another technology where the cables seem to be such an issue.

I rarely use the ones that come with the MOBO's. That's pcdoc's #1 rule.

What is it with all these cheapo SATA cables? I've never heard of another technology where the cables seem to be such an issue.

You've obviously have never seen electrical cables in Iraq! OMG!

You've obviously have never seen electrical cables in Iraq! OMG!

You got me there. I've never seen anything in Iraq, at least not in person.