RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

I just ordered the HP Microserver N40L, now what?

ikon

IMHO, if any company sells a headless system, it ought to be mandatory that they provide ILO-type functionality onboard. None of this $80 add-on card BS. They should be able to build it in for less than $10 if it's onboard.

Joe_Miner

IMHO, if any company sells a headless system, it ought to be mandatory that they provide ILO-type functionality onboard. None of this $80 add-on card BS. They should be able to build it in for less than $10 if it's onboard.

The MicroServer is not a headless Server. It has a video port on the back. It's on the back of the case left of the USB 2.0 slots:

Z03CaseBackView.jpg

The 615095-B21 is a KVM over IP that's going to cost more than $10.

ikon

I'm aware that the HP is not headless; it's just a comment about headless systems in general. Mind you, having an ILO card for the Micro-server is great; makes remote admin a lot easier.

a15457

I posted earlier in the ESXi thread .. but was just wondering if I should post one in here too ...

Admins ... please feel free to delete this one if you feel it's inappropriate.

I'm after some advice / recommendations on a RAID card to buy. I've recently bought my first N40L, with 8Gb of RAM, 4 x 3TB Drives and I also bought a RocketRAID 2710 so that I could RAID 5 my disks. Anyway it now turns out that I didn't research well enough and that card isn't supported by ESXi 5. :( does anyone have any hints or tips as to which RAID card I should get?

Cheers,

DAVE

:)

a15457

Thanks Mr. Wills. I know about the compatability list ... I was just hoping to get some advice from people on these forums that had already gone through the exercise of finding and testing one, to ensure that it fits in the box and does what they want it to do.

Either way I've already begun trolling through the list.

Cheers,

Dave.

jmwills

I was bummed to discover the 2720 did not work with v5.x

a15457

Yeah and no 2710 either! Sooo thought I was on a winner with that one when I bought it. It's seriously soured my N40L experience. I was sooooo happy when I was finally allowed and could afford to buy it! Just goes to show ... research and double tripple check!

Dave

a15457

Anyway ... moving along ... If I'm going to move forward without spending too much more on my new toy I see two options.

Option 1: Install the 250Gb HDD that came with the server into the optical bay and just run Win Server 2K8R2 on it and use my 2710 to RAID 5 my 4x3TB disks as storage.

or

Option 2: Install Win Server 2K8R2 Server onto a 64Gb Usb stick that I have and use the RAID Card for storage as above.

If I go with option 1 what cables will I need to get as I have no spare parts at the moment (All my stuff like that is interstate at the moment)

I think that Option 2 while it may work will probably be a fairly dodgy choice for running Win Server 2K8R2.

thoughts, opinions, anyone?

Cheers,

Dave.

PS loving this forum at the moment. So glad it's here.