RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Major failure trying to restore to OCZ Revo SSD

ikon

I just had a major failure of my main desktop. Right in the middle of editting a photo the system crashed with a BSOD (something about mrxsmb20.dll). After restart it would BSOD again just after logging on and right as the main desktop was about to be displayed.

I rebooted a few times to be sure, but it crashed at the same place every time.

I was able to boot into Safe Mode, but it didn't help.

I tried shutting down for a while, but it made no difference.

I unplugged all non-essentials, but it made no difference.

Finally, I tried to restore from WHS2011. The restore ran fine per se but, after rebooting, all I get is No bootable devices detected. Please select boot device and restart (or whatever that statement actually says). I restored twice and got the same results. When I configured backup of this computer I DID tell WHS2011 to backup system files and thought I had it all configured for a fully bootable restore.

I also booted from the Win7 DVD and tried the Repair System Boot (or whatever it's called).

I'm wondering if the failure is because my boot drive is the Revo PCIe SSD. I thought I had done a test restore to ensure it works, but I can't remember for sure cause it was so long ago.

I've done a clean install onto the Revo and it's working so far. Getting some odd errors like Windows Explorer has stopped working, but it seems it really hasn't. Also, after installing the latest Catalyst driver, Catalyst Control Center won't start. This is not that odd; I've seen it before. CCC seems pretty flaky at times.

Anyone got any miracle ideas that would let me restore the WHS2011 backup successfully.

Check for Boot Device order and SATA settings set to AHCI. I'm sure you've done this, just adding an extra set of eyes for you.

And I appreciate the extra eyes. Since I hadn't changed anything in the UEFI, I assumed it would still be set correctly. I think being able to do a clean install without touching the UEFI confirms that it's set correctly, but I'm going to double check what the settings are anyway.

OK, I've got my Win7 box back up and running. Still a lot of SW to install, etc. but, first, I'm going to install the Connector, do a manual backup, and try restoring again from WHS2011. Something is not right and I want to nail it down. I've already created an image backup to my data drive, so I can restore from that using the Win7 Install, if the WHS backup doesn't work - I'm not going through all of this again.

Just did a test restore from WHS2011 before starting the long road to re-installing all the apps and such. It went 'OK'. It had a couple of weird errors after bootup but a couple of reboots pretty much resolved them. Still, it's a bit unnerving.