RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slingbox alternative

Mr Bill

Well, I pulled the trigger and got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun.

It was a deal that was hard to pass up.

http://www.dailysteals.com/deal/3012/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Dual-High-Definition-Digital-TV-Tuner--Network-Attached----Watch--Pause--Record---Rewind-Live-TV-on-Your-Computer

My goal is to have this on the home network and be able to stream live video from this across to me over the internet at an offsite location.

Does anyone do a similar configuration?

If you do, how is your system configured?

Thanks.

Mr. Bill

This is just a tuner. You will still need a way to placeshift your content over the internet. I could be wrong but I do not believe this will do this out of the box.

One thought I had was to use Hamachi and see if I could get it up that way.

Good luck with that. VPN do not work very well streaming. You need something that will scale to fit the bandwidth. Streaming largely hands when streaming. You are going to have to find some software solution to get what you want. Despite your forum title, these two units are completely different. The sling does not have any tuners and fits in series with an existing source such as a DVR, cable box, HTPC, etc. From there you can place shift to to a PC or over the internet. The HD Homerun is a network tuner and relies on your devices/software to handle. It can be done but you will have to look around for the best solutions.

To add to what pcdoc said, when you add the VPN into the equation, you just lost about 40% of your bandwidth for that pipe. It is going to be slow.

My HD Homerun just barely works over a WiFi connection, it uses a substantial amount of bandwidth.

It might with hamachi if it passes broadcast packets, but you're gonna need a pretty fat pipe.

We hate to burst your bubble but you definitely have some challenges ahead of you. If it were me, I would make sure all my media needs are hard wired, then I would pickup a cheap "Vulkano" to handle the over the internet stuff. Once you have the HD home run the way you want you can steam from it using a placeshifting device. You can use other software such as playon or twonky but I just found these to be nothing but problems. Also the issue will be that all you will be able to stream is what is on you HD Homerun. With solutions like Sling or the higher end Volcano's you can handle multiple devices such an HTPC, cable box, or Roku for example out of one box.

http://www.amazon.com/Vulkano-Flow-Mobile-Device-Viewing/dp/B004M189OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333123736&sr=8-1

• 2 months later...

I helped a friend set up a similar solution between his parents house and his dorm at school. As has been stated in this thread, you have to pass broadcast traffic between the two nodes of your VPN. As far as I am concerned, the only (or easiest) way to do this is with an OpenVPN connection using TAP. There are numerous guides to this on the internet, and I wouldn't mind helping you with it (within the realm of "resonable" of course) but it is a very technical highly involved process that doesn't always behave the way it should. You also have to take into account that if you do a site-to-site VPN using TAP, your internet will effectively become unusably slow at one of your sites.

Also, he barely had enough bandwidth to do HD streaming on a 20mbit pipe. Encapsulated HD udp streams from the Homerun were pushing 13-15mbits. There was still noticeable jitter on the other end of the stream as well...

My suggestion? Drop the idea. As cool as it is, the amount of resources that you would put into making it work are pretty much ridiculous.