RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

moving to WHS2011

gavin-uk

i have a 22TB WHS v1 which is taking a very long time to move my files off of it

because i have to move them over to a ext hdd then i have to remove my next drive from the Pool on whs v1

can i just uplug all my hdd's or would the file's be no good

Then install WHS2011

add a empty hdd to it then copy over the files instead

If I read this correctly, you are going to reprupose the same equipment? 2011 will not know how to read the Drive Extender (DE) files is you have that running. How are you copying 22TB worth of data off to external drives?

your correct i didnt mean i would just add my old drive pool from V1 to WHS 2011 and think it would work

its the same equipment

im copying to external drives but i only had one so the way i have to do it is like this

copy to the 1st external drive then remove a drive from DE pool which can take some time once thats done i copy to that from the drive pool and so on as you can see all that takes time

If you remove duplication, which removes the effectiveness of DE, this may work. Maybe DieHrad or one of the other guys who are still on v1 can chime in. I moved to 2011 over a year ago and never looked back.

However, I would NEVER undertake something like this without having backups I could rely on just in case you have a failure.

I'm with jmwills on this: backup backup backup. It may take some extra drives, but I'd be scared willy to try it without at least 2 other backups available.