RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

Wireless Router and Switch Advice

Guest no-control

Kind of hard to tell what you really want. If you're going to hard wire everything and need WiFi and have $600 to burn I would just build an unTangle box with a WiFi NIC and a switch. If you want to go all out you can use all of the budget and spring for a managed L2 switch like the D-Link DGS-1224T. you could do both for under $700 maybe even under $600 depending on features.

mrossco

How crowded is the neighborhood when it comes to WiFi? If you open up your laptop and see a lot of networks, then you might want to invest in a good consumer wifi. I recently swapped out my D-Link for a Cisco E3200. It's a good dual-band N router and it handles everything I need. I'd stay away from the RV220. I've had similar Small Business units, and it seems like they are so incredibly crippled so as not to compete with larger business offerings.

PCEddie

Wow, I did not think I would get this many responses :rolleyes: . I really appreciate everyone's advise. PCDoc, I did not think of building a untangle box until you mentioned it. I would like to have a wired and wireless access on my network. I have a iPhone and iPad. The reason for my suggested choices is due to I want to segment my network into 3 or 4 parts. One part will be my main network, another network is for working on computers/laptops, another network is for testing, and another network is for something that I have not thought of yet :D . My future plans are to build a VM box to play around with different software and setups (this will be a future post). That is one reason I was leaning towards the Cisco router to use the vlans to create separate networks to suit my needs.

If I decide to build a untangle box, I will need a network card for each vlan?

Thanks for the feedback.

ikon

I've used UT as my UTM/firewall for several years and love it, but I'm not aware of it being able to create VLANs. I think a good switch is your best option for that.

mrossco

The reason for my suggested choices is due to I want to segment my network into 3 or 4 parts.

If it helps, I used the consumer wifi router above as my main network. That's where most of the pcs and devices live in my house. Then I created a UT router off of that for my lab work. I like it because I can muck with stuff and not get the wife angry when the network goes down because I'm "playing".

pcdoc

Wow, I did not think I would get this many responses :rolleyes: . I really appreciate everyone's advise. PCDoc, I did not think of building a untangle box until you mentioned it. I would like to have a wired and wireless access on my network. I have a iPhone and iPad. The reason for my suggested choices is due to I want to segment my network into 3 or 4 parts. One part will be my main network, another network is for working on computers/laptops, another network is for testing, and another network is for something that I have not thought of yet :D . My future plans are to build a VM box to play around with different software and setups (this will be a future post). That is one reason I was leaning towards the Cisco router to use the vlans to create separate networks to suit my needs.

If I decide to build a untangle box, I will need a network card for each vlan?

Thanks for the feedback.

One caution. I love my untangle but because it will not support UpNP, you will not get WiFi syncing to work on iTunes.

yodafett

For a Switch check out HP V1910 line 16, 24 and 48 port. Layer 3 so you can have it do all of your routing but segment out what you don't like.

on the router front check out a WNDR4500 from netgear.

Me I use a Cisco 5505 for my router with a HP V1910 16 port and a Netgear prosafe 16port Gigabit. I use a Linksys WAP610N for my WAP then. I prefer to keep the AP away from the router as my WHS act as DNS and DHCP

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am sorry for following up so late on my router and switch decision. I decided on a Netgear N900 router and Cisco SG200-26 24 10/100/10000 switch (SLM2024TNA). I have setup the N900 router and wireless distance is very nice. I have not done much other than set up the router and had Time Warner help me bridge their router. Once I move into my town home and unpack, I will be able to setup the switch. I did unbox the switch like a kid on Christmas and the switch looks nice. I am looking forward to see what's under the hood and what I can do with the switch.

ikon

Good luck with the new gear.