RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendation for Testing a Hard Drive

GavinCampbell

Hi Guys,

Recently one of my hard drives got corrupted and I was able to salvage most of my data between my backups and some data recovery on the drive.

However this happend while I was moving the drive to a new Hyper-V setup and I am wondering if the drive is still good and it was just corrupted by something I did during the move.

What would you recommend using to test the drive to ensure it is still good for use? Or should I even bother and just throw it out?

Pretty much everyone knows what I'm going to say: SpinRite on Level 4. It's not free, and there's no trial version, but I use it all the time for drive maintenance and swear by it.

Hi Guys,

Recently one of my hard drives got corrupted and I was able to salvage most of my data between my backups and some data recovery on the drive.

However this happend while I was moving the drive to a new Hyper-V setup and I am wondering if the drive is still good and it was just corrupted by something I did during the move.

What would you recommend using to test the drive to ensure it is still good for use? Or should I even bother and just throw it out?

If it's a Western Digital I'd go to their website and download their disk testing software. If it fails those test I wouldn't mess with it -- I'd just RMA it for a new drive. I've had very good luck with their RMA service.

I'm pretty certain that all the manufactures are basically the same with their RMA policy.

Thanks for the recommendation. I remember hearing about this product years ago. I am definately going to give this a shot and test my drive.

SpinRite is not free, however, if you feel it did not your expectations, they will refund your money with few questions.

So just an update.

I ran the WD tools and it did a full scan in 3 hours with no problems.

I then started a SpinRite level 4 scan. It currently has 50hours left (80 total) and so far no errors. I will let it finish off and once done I will be more confortable with using the drive again. It looks like it was more of a data corruption error due to other factors.