RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L vs N40L

jamin100

Hi guys

New to this forum and im looking for some advice if possible.

Im looking at getting a server for 2 reasons.

1. File storage / Backup for my computers

2. Virtual Lab practice.

So im thinking about getting the microserver with the following spec.

8GB RAM

2 x 2 TB Hard Drives

I would then run ESXI from the internal USB socket on the motherboard..

In terms of virtual machines I would want / need the following:

1 x storage VM. This would be on 24/7 and would either be OpenMediaVault or Windows Home Server. This would facilitate my backups etc

I would then have up to 3 possibly 4 virtual machines such as 1 Windows 2008r2 server and 2 Windows 7 clients. None of these would be under any heavy load as they would only be used for testing and only powered on when needed.

So, I have 2 options. A new N40L or a used N36L. The only difference in the .2ghz processor speed. Does anyone know if the N40L is worth the extra $£$ over the N36L?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• jamin100

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be a tough one for that processor. If you were to fire up all those machines at one time, all of your available memory is going to be consumed providing you adhere to the norm of about 4 gigs for the WHS and one each for the others.

I have the N40L with 4 gigs and it can serve an HTPC with media with no problem whatsoever as well as being a backup for the WHS media files. Your strategy will work if you run no more than 2 machines at once. Running ESXi will definitely save resources so stick with that part for sure. Only testing will tell you what you really need to know.

Hi guys

New to this forum and im looking for some advice if possible.

Im looking at getting a server for 2 reasons.

1. File storage / Backup for my computers

2. Virtual Lab practice.

So im thinking about getting the microserver with the following spec.

8GB RAM

2 x 2 TB Hard Drives

I would then run ESXI from the internal USB socket on the motherboard..

In terms of virtual machines I would want / need the following:

1 x storage VM. This would be on 24/7 and would either be OpenMediaVault or Windows Home Server. This would facilitate my backups etc

I would then have up to 3 possibly 4 virtual machines such as 1 Windows 2008r2 server and 2 Windows 7 clients. None of these would be under any heavy load as they would only be used for testing and only powered on when needed.

So, I have 2 options. A new N40L or a used N36L. The only difference in the .2ghz processor speed. Does anyone know if the N40L is worth the extra $£$ over the N36L?

Unless the N36L is an exceptional deal I'd personally go with the N40L. There have been some incredible deals on the N40L's recently -- PC-Connection has listed them twice that I know of at $179 and I have no doublt they'll do it again. At that price for a N40L new you'd almost have to give me the N36L to make me go that way.

The key in my mind is that you plan relatively light loading with your VM's -- as a basic home lab and back up machine I don't think it will make a lot of difference with either CPU.

Here's how I'm loaded with my N40L:

ScreenCap2012-03-28.jpg

I'm using my 2011 VM to backup my EX487 -- the other stuff is just testing with 2 version of Win Server 8, Win 8, and an XP.

Thanks both . .

@Joe_Miner

Are you using Windows Server as your base OS and then using Hyper-V for your VM's?

Another option of course is to do this and use Windows Server 2008R2 as the base OS and also the machine that controls the backups and then put my 3/4 test VM's in hyper-V

Yes, 2K8R2 is my host. It's working very well.

I'm planning to eventually make Server 8 the host and see how that does. I've had a few learning experiences with S8 so I've held off on that for now till I'm more comfortable with it.

My build (see sig line below) is described here.

Edited by Joe_Miner

You can see from the Task Manager that 75% of his memory is already consumed so with your plan, the ESXi would be the better choice, IMO. The processor is not being taxed at all but memory is a bear to manage.

Thanks again. Defiantly want to get one of these little machines as they look great for what i need.

In terms of the Backup OS (to backup my imac really) which OS would you suggest?

Windows Home Server is a consideration as is linux based OS's just as freenas and OpenMediaVault.

I only really need some RAID1 mirroring and SMB file shares that I can mount on my imac.

How many clients? Just the one? I'd experiment with a number but for backing up clients and serving up data, in one package, WHS is hard to beat. Especially at a $50 price point.

Yeh its only my Imac that it'll be backing up.

Really only Itunes (music / Movies / TV Shows)

Lightroom Catalogue

Documents

Thats about it.

Comes in at around 1 TB

How many clients? Just the one? I'd experiment with a number but for backing up clients and serving up data, in one package, WHS is hard to beat. Especially at a $50 price point.

Can WHS2011 do bare-metal restores to Macs?