RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSUS Overdrive

Diceis

If he had exceeded his cap, then yes, or at least severely throttled the connection.

Nice article from the guys over at We Got Served on a typcial WHS/WSUS installaiton.

I didn't think I did either until I did a network discovery the other night and ten showed up,,,,,,and I live alone for now!

Nope they havent disconnected me, as Im using the connection :P

Ive been informed that they wont charge me, but do throttle my speeds between certain times, and that was then and im all good now.

Thats the guide I followed initailly JMWILLIS, I just checked the driver part ( thats not checked in there article, 4th Picture up on the last page )

... going to look soon to see if I can see whats going on :ph34r:

.... and one more thing, my download is unlimited, just dont like the sound of 90Gb d/l

Edited by Diceis

Wish my bandwidth wasn't capped. They just increased mine (you know, out of the kindness of their hearts, because they're such generous people) to 100GB/mo. But, they count upload and download when calculating my usage.

Nooooo, Ive removed WSUS as a role, reset my server and after 3 mins... its downloading again!!!

edit: its downloaded 1.1gb now its stopped

Edited by Diceis

It's been a while since I've used WSUS, and there is a way to clean-up the database and free up disk space. At least on older versions, it was a separate download. You'll also want to look at a few areas to try to keep your downloads to a minimum:

Language (most are fine with English only)

Windows versions (pick what you have, and don't download updates for what you don't. Hopefully it's just Windows 7)

Apps (Office, etc. same thing on the versions)

Drivers

I may install it myself just to see how its changed in the past couple of years...

Thanks for your help guys. I just removed the role again, then installed WSUS, gave it permission to revmove the database, and updates.

Then synced with just windows 7 for now and thats solved my problem. I think it was still downloading previous updates that I approved for install.

Next time maybe I shouldnt select all and approve :P

Out of curiousity, where does one stand from a licence agreement point of view.

Is it legal to install WSUS on WHS2011?