RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Major SSD Upgrade problem Need Help ASAP

CablDeViL

Hi all,

I took my work server home to change the faulty Raid array to an SSD. This was the C: drive FYI.

I use Acronis to clone the raid to the ssd with no problem

Swapped everything over with no problem either.

Booted into windows and I just get to the splash screen then it reboots. When I reboot again I try to run the recovery utility but it fails and says Bad Driver.

She will not boot in safe mode either.

I did you the recovery console to check that the ssd was ok and it was listed as the D drive? there is no other drives installed in her at this point so I am not sure if the c drive that list locked is just the partition that windows 7 makes or the tools that the recovery console mounts to.

Could use some advice ASAP ty

for whatever reason it looks like acronis made the designated portion the C drive and the boot partition the D. prob most of my problems

I am not sure that cloning a RAID to an SSD will work out as it will clone everything including the partition information and drivers. Depending on what you had the raid created with you might have issue in the BIOS settings as well. My suggestion is use Acronis to "back up" the image instead of cloning, then restore it to the SSD.

Left you a message on Skype as well.

Just a "to make sure" check that you have the drive set to AHCI and not RAID in BIOS, correct? May even want to try IDE/compatibility (whatever your BIOS calls it) once to see if that works. Normally you can go down the food chain (RAID to AHCI, AHCI to IDE, etc) but sometimes with RAID and AHCI the Windows drivers just don't work correctly.

Just a "to make sure" check that you have the drive set to AHCI and not RAID in BIOS, correct? May even want to try IDE/compatibility (whatever your BIOS calls it) once to see if that works. Normally you can go down the food chain (RAID to AHCI, AHCI to IDE, etc) but sometimes with RAID and AHCI the Windows drivers just don't work correctly.

Great point. With RAID on the BIOS I have not had good luck going either direction. A great argument for not using RAID on the OS.

Sorry I was down yesterday with a cold. I ended up putting all the old drive back with no problem. The bios has the settings as Raid only / Raid and AHCI / or ATA only.

This box was set as Raid and AHCI - so if the bios sees the raid signature it will turn all for sata ports to raid - if not then AHCI.

Just some info on the DELL

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-390/pd

@pcdoc do you think if I clone the raid to a usb drive then install the ssd and the usb drive to my personal machine then clone the image back the ssd this will take care of the issue?

Thanks

Sorry I was down yesterday with a cold. I ended up putting all the old drive back with no problem. The bios has the settings as Raid only / Raid and AHCI / or ATA only.

This box was set as Raid and AHCI - so if the bios sees the raid signature it will turn all for sata ports to raid - if not then AHCI.

Just some info on the DELL

http://www.dell.com/...recision-390/pd

@pcdoc do you think if I clone the raid to a usb drive then install the ssd and the usb drive to my personal machine then clone the image back the ssd this will take care of the issue?

Thanks

Are you using the esteemed Intel Rapid Storage Drivers? IF you are, remove them (raid should still be there and work correctly), then run a backup using Acronis. I would not clone but rather backup to an image. If that does not work because of embedded drivers, I would just grab an old drive, re install WHS 2011 which is fairly fast, then clone that to your SSD.