RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast coverage request

SimonG156

I'm new to WHS and the podcast (great resource) chaps. I have my laptops backed up, my folders duplicated and even BDBB installed.

But what I am unsure on is the operating system backup procedure.

Could this be a subject for a few minutes on the podcas

HI Simon,

Welcome to Windows Home Server. Sadly there is no real easy or simple way to backup the WHS OS. There have been many who have tried with varying degrees of failure. The main problem is the OS is so dynamic because of the Tombstones it is near to impossible to have a current image of the state of the drive. Having said all of that some people have made it work but it is far from plug and play. You are just going to have to resolve to the fact that if something breaks in the OS a Server Reinstall is about your only course of action.

fasthair

Welcome to WHS. Fasthair pretty much summed it. I have gone through the process several times and altough it is time consuming, it is pretty painless. That said, if it happens, you will loose addins (so save them somewhere), user accounts, and any additional software/customizations you installed. The other suggestion I will give you is make sure you server has more than two drives. This avoids any data being stored on the primary drive even with duplication on. Two drives will also work but with duplication on space goes quickly.

One option is http://homeservershow.com/tranquil-pc-mirrors-your-windows-home-server-os-drive-in-raid-1.html

Here, your OS is always up to date and mirrored. If one drive fails just replace it. This option is quick but not cheap. However this will not protect you from messing up your OS by installing software that may break things.

For those with a EX47x/48x boxes, purchasing the latest v3 update will bring those boxes up to the latest version of the HP software and includes a lot of Windows Updates so rebuilding these servers will be quicker.

As fasthair says, there are other alternatives but they are not plug and play.

One quick one that could help you out of a jam is to install System Restore, but this is a hack. http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=System_Restore this has saved me a few times.

An other hack is http://homeservershow.com/quick-easy-windows-home-server-os-backup-and-restore-4hak3rs.html you are creating an image of the current state of you OS to create a new OS recovery disk. However, it can cause problems if your hardware configuration changes as it will have the drives set up as they were when the OS backup was made. This is risky.

Unless you have really tweaked you OS and want a way to keep that safe, your best bet is to go the recommended route.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

SO I have a system restore disk supplied with the package (I put everything away safe so I have it somewhere).

On the recreate users option I take it there is no Security ID issue whereby a newly created JoeBloggs user can't see the old JoeBloggs folders and files?

I keep all my add-ins in the software folder so the only issue would be something like U Torrent config or something minor. As long as a OS corruptions not going to brick the machine forever with all my data on it.