RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Corrupted Backups

Technogod

I've noticed that Intel RST software resolves a lot of drive detection issues in windows 7, however I'm not sure if it is available for 2008 server or whs 2011, and non intel chipsets/ raid controllers may be an issue.

On windows 7 if intel RST is installed I can safely hot swap esata & sata drives.

Interesting. Do you have any mechanism for 'ejecting' eSATA drives? And, if you disconnect a drive, reboot, then re-connect the drive, does it detect correctly?

Also, I suspect the Win7 drivers would work on Server 2K8r2 because they both have the same core.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Technogod

• pcdoc

• jcollison

I just add/ remove sata drives at will, reboot or no reboot, it always detects when intel RST is installed. With just the MS drivers, everything is a crap shoot.

There are known issues with ocz SSDs causing bsods tho', but otherwise it's worth a shot if you have an intel chipset.

I just add/ remove sata drives at will, reboot or no reboot, it always detects when intel RST is installed. With just the MS drivers, everything is a crap shoot.

There are known issues with ocz SSDs causing bsods tho', but otherwise it's worth a shot if you have an intel chipset.

One reason I'm a little hesitant is I believe that pcdoc really doesn't like RST; says the drivers are flaky. That said, I'm not even sure whether I have RST installed already or not.

One reason I'm a little hesitant is I believe that pcdoc really doesn't like RST; says the drivers are flaky. That said, I'm not even sure whether I have RST installed already or not.

RST drivers with SSD's is not the best combo. Had numerous issues. I finally removed them. They where not the only issue but a contributor. Also prevents firmware update on OCZ and other SSD drives. Would not use them unless you need it.

RST drivers with SSD's is not the best combo. Had numerous issues. I finally removed them. They where not the only issue but a contributor. Also prevents firmware update on OCZ and other SSD drives. Would not use them unless you need it.

Well, since I haven't had a single instance of data corruption on my eSATA configuration in 3 years of production, I think I can safely stay with what works ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Technogod

I'm beginning to think Microsoft has a real problem with WHS 2011 backups being corrupted. I was listening to the TDL Show and Andrew Edney experienced the exact same problem. WHS reports backup database is corrupted. Try to repair it and it fails. All backup database files have to be deleted and you start all over. I think it has something to do with VSS corrupting the database. Maybe we should start a poll question to see how many people have experienced this problem. I experineced it twice and then moved to Acronis True Image.

Edited by Technogod

I'm beginning to think Microsoft has a real problem with WHS 2011 backups being corrupted. I was listening to the TDL Show and Andrew Edney experienced the exact same problem. WHS reports backup database is corrupted. Try to repair it and it fails. All backup database files have to be deleted and you start all over. I think it has something to do with VSS corrupting the database. Maybe we should start a poll question to see how many people have experienced this problem. I experineced it twice and then moved to Acronis True Image.

Would be interesting. I have only heard of this from the recent roll-up. Does your issue correlate to that time frame.

I haven't experienced the problem that I know of, but I also believe I'm not using VSS. At least, I do not have folder duplication enabled. Maybe that makes a difference?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I guess I am lucky as I am running RST with two OCZ Vertex 2's in raid0 and I have not had any problems.

pcdoc, what were the issues you were having?