RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Bigsease30

2720SGL help

pcdoc

@pcdoc, Hmm. I have duplication currently turned on and it seems to work? I guess that only way to check it to pull a drive out and hook it up to my pc, I back the server OS partition onto a portable usb hard drive occasionally. At least that is what I have done in v1 and will continue to do.

@ikon, "WHS2011 manage the backups and duplicates" This means computer backups and file duplications.

Can you get a screenshot of the area where are setting duplication. Duplication is simply not in 2011 unless you are using something to supplement or there some kind of add-on. Did you install some sort of drive extender (ie, stablebit)? You probably want to be exact at this point. Remember in the configuration you have, you are vulnerable. The array looses a drive could cause you much grief. The add-ons have no history yet and changing every other day. Need to better understand what you are running and we can make some recommendations.

Bigsease30

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear. Yes, I am using Stablebit Drive Pool. The Dup function seems to work very well. I have tested Drivepool in my test setup and was able to pull a single drive without losing any data. I could plug that drive into my PC and see all the files that where there. I could still access the server and see all files and interact with them. I formatted the HD that I removed and installed it back into the server as a new drive, added it back to my drive pool and everything settled back out like nothing even happened.

The only reason that I didn't go with raid was I didn't want to lose any space. Using Drivepools dup feature allows me to only backup the server folders that are important to me allowing for more server space. I have owned an HP ex475, ex485 and ex490 over the years and this way has never failed me after a few HD failures. I hope that this will never change. I will still keep my ex490 just incase something does indeed happen, at least then i have a hard backup.

My only wish is that I could move my PC backups from WHSv1 to V2 but from what I read, that is impossible.

Thanks for your help and support.

Bigsease30

Maybe you guys can shed some light on this question. The 2720SGL card was shipped with v1.0 firmware. After reading a few posts here I did a search and downloaded the v1.2 from highpoints site here http://www.highpoint..._download_U.htm

After reading more about the card on the site I stumbled on to yet another highpoint page where it says that the current firmware is v1.4 here http://www.highpoint...ries_rr272x.htm

Has anyone tried the v1.4 firmware? if not, have you seen a changelog on there site. I cant find any more info on this.

FORGET IT LOL - I found it in the firmware folder.

4. Revision History

====================

v1.4 03/21/2012

* Add over 2TB SAS HDD supported.

v1.3 12/12/2011

* Fixed a bug about payload.

v1.2 07/04/2011

* Add support HDD over 2T to create array.

* Add support RR2711.

v1.1 05/12/2010

* Fix compatibility issue in some motherboard.

* Change logical device serial number to support VMWare ESX.

* Autoloader data changed (v4.0.0.1606).

* Fix SATA600 display error.

v1.0 11/19/2009

* First release

Edited by Bigsease30

pcdoc

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear. Yes, I am using Stablebit Drive Pool. The Dup function seems to work very well. I have tested Drivepool in my test setup and was able to pull a single drive without losing any data. I could plug that drive into my PC and see all the files that where there. I could still access the server and see all files and interact with them. I formatted the HD that I removed and installed it back into the server as a new drive, added it back to my drive pool and everything settled back out like nothing even happened.

The only reason that I didn't go with raid was I didn't want to lose any space. Using Drivepools dup feature allows me to only backup the server folders that are important to me allowing for more server space. I have owned an HP ex475, ex485 and ex490 over the years and this way has never failed me after a few HD failures. I hope that this will never change. I will still keep my ex490 just incase something does indeed happen, at least then i have a hard backup.

My only wish is that I could move my PC backups from WHSv1 to V2 but from what I read, that is impossible.

Thanks for your help and support.

That clears that up. I am not sure the space loss is any different though as you are using duplication. Ultimately it is up to you as it is a personal choice.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on this question. The 2720SGL card was shipped with v1.0 firmware. After reading a few posts here I did a search and downloaded the v1.2 from highpoints site here http://www.highpoint..._download_U.htm

After reading more about the card on the site I stumbled on to yet another highpoint page where it says that the current firmware is v1.4 here http://www.highpoint...ries_rr272x.htm

Has anyone tried the v1.4 firmware? if not, have you seen a changelog on there site. I cant find any more info on this.

FORGET IT LOL - I found it in the firmware folder.

4. Revision History

====================

v1.4 03/21/2012

* Add over 2TB SAS HDD supported.

v1.3 12/12/2011

* Fixed a bug about payload.

v1.2 07/04/2011

* Add support HDD over 2T to create array.

* Add support RR2711.

v1.1 05/12/2010

* Fix compatibility issue in some motherboard.

* Change logical device serial number to support VMWare ESX.

* Autoloader data changed (v4.0.0.1606).

* Fix SATA600 display error.

v1.0 11/19/2009

* First release

1.4 is the latest that is directly from their site.

Bigsease30

Thanks for your help pcdoc.

Gwandad

Same topic, different problem, so I hope I'm doing the right thing. Firstly, my system details: Asus P8H61-1 itx MB, i3-2100 CPU w 4Gb Ram 2Gb boot etc Samsung Hdd, 4 identical Samsung 2 Gb Drives attached to Highpoint 2720 SGL, all in a Fractal R2 mini Case... Thanks to all the information on these forums, I have been able to get over most initial problems, but I am stuck now!!

I loaded WHS 2011 & recovered all my important stuff from WHS 1 & that's on the rest of the boot disk. I am trying to get Raid 5 working with the other 4 disks. I got as far as formatting them yesterday & it took 13.5 hours.Event File shows Completed. Now the fun bit..... I load the Highpoint S/W as admin, click on the x continue to website (not recommended), Log In & display 2 items. First: Logical Device Information & that shows my Raid5 as Raid5, 6 Gb Writeback etc. Second is Physical Device Info. & lists the 4 Samsung drives

I click Manage, then Array,Create Array & get the error message "no devices available to create array". Click OK & up comes the Create Array page, but under the Available disks heading is nothing.

I realise it's probably simple, but I'm in my 70's & trying to teach myself this stuff & things tend to be a bit slower these days,...Can someone help, please?

pcdoc

Same topic, different problem, so I hope I'm doing the right thing. Firstly, my system details: Asus P8H61-1 itx MB, i3-2100 CPU w 4Gb Ram 2Gb boot etc Samsung Hdd, 4 identical Samsung 2 Gb Drives attached to Highpoint 2720 SGL, all in a Fractal R2 mini Case... Thanks to all the information on these forums, I have been able to get over most initial problems, but I am stuck now!!

I loaded WHS 2011 & recovered all my important stuff from WHS 1 & that's on the rest of the boot disk. I am trying to get Raid 5 working with the other 4 disks. I got as far as formatting them yesterday & it took 13.5 hours.Event File shows Completed. Now the fun bit..... I load the Highpoint S/W as admin, click on the x continue to website (not recommended), Log In & display 2 items. First: Logical Device Information & that shows my Raid5 as Raid5, 6 Gb Writeback etc. Second is Physical Device Info. & lists the 4 Samsung drives

I click Manage, then Array,Create Array & get the error message "no devices available to create array". Click OK & up comes the Create Array page, but under the Available disks heading is nothing.

I realise it's probably simple, but I'm in my 70's & trying to teach myself this stuff & things tend to be a bit slower these days,...Can someone help, please?

From your description, you have already created the array. I believe what you are missing is the partition and format. The first part you did that took 13 hours is the actual creation of the array but now you have to partition it and do a format.

1.Click on the "server manger" icon at the bottom or click start, run, and type "disk manager" and hit enter. If will pull up the "Disk Management" console. You should see a large drive listed there with no drive letter or allocation. Right click on the disk and select create a simple Volume (It may prompt you that is has found an un-initialized drive automatically just say yes but make sure you select "GPT" partition. It should take about 4-5 seconds and then it will present you with unallocatted partition in the disk manager. Right click on the unused partition and format the drive. Give the drive letter you want and accept the default max size and click oK. You should now be able to use your new 6T volume.

My video shows it pretty well so you might want to view that first.

http://thedocsworld.net/building-your-raid-5-array/

Gwandad

By the look of this, my reply wasn't sent. Many many thanks. It now works a treat. Unfortunately your videos show as unavailable. I tried them yesterday, this am & upon receipt of your reply. I'll watch them when they become available.

pcdoc

By the look of this, my reply wasn't sent. Many many thanks. It now works a treat. Unfortunately your videos show as unavailable. I tried them yesterday, this am & upon receipt of your reply. I'll watch them when they become available.

Not sure why the video did not work. I have tested and it seems to fine. Here are the direct links to youtube. I think part 2 shows what I was describing. From the sound of it you got it working. Good luck.

ikon

video link works fine for me pcdoc. Only suggestion I would have is to bump the recorded volume up a bit. I had to crank he video and Windows volumes both up to max to get a listenable level (but I could hear it fine then; there was just no headroom left).