RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Home Server Show 175

Dave

I hate to bring to light negative comments about a podcast but I've seen a few comments about 175 and just wanted to hop out here and discuss it a bit. It's mostly about the Windows 8 coverage and I'll be honest with you in saying I have had zero time to look at the product in depth. I apologize for that guys. I'm trying to move and just cant get enough done for the podcast. I rely heavily on John and Jim and even bringing in Mike Faucher to assist. I know it's an exciting time with everything that Win8 brings to the table and I'll try to do a better job.

Having said that I am working towards improving the podcast and covering these things for you. When the dust settles I hope you will see some good changes that I have planned for you.

Humble Podcaster,

Dave

I would like to comment on input from the listeners on the Storage Spaces discussion. I believe there are a ton of items to be covered on Storage Spaces as this is a critical new feature. Many other sites have covered the simplicity and flexibility of the interface and its features but very few have discussed the performance aspect. As I am a media enthusiasts, I mostly test things in the perspective of performance as well as the other factors to make sure it will work in my use case. In dealing with large media collections or BD, performance plays a significant role. If you can't stream your media content then many users will not be happy with the experience. All the other aspects as well as mirror and stripe testing will also be done in the near future and we will report on that as well. Since the parity volumes is a new feature and many who read these forums have already heard much talk about RAID 5, it seemed like a logical place to start but in no way is it the end. I am in the process of completing the mirror/stripe testing as well as some additional short videos to accompany the ones done for the parity volume. Rest assured that all the key aspects of this important new feature will be tested so hang in there a bit longer.

Good point. I don't think the commenters had any beef with your angle of discussion. It's probably a general issue with the show and format that has taken us this far. I'll have to listen back to 175 as one of the comments said I sounded sleepy. It's probably true. That week i had made two trips to my new location. It has been taking it's toll.

Is there a way to turn up the volume on your podcasts. I always have to crank up the dial to max (60) for both of your podcasts. On others it matches the volume of the radio (ie normal listening level around 15).

Well it's not "Freedom Rock" man! I wonder if anyone will get that reference?

I can gain it up a little bit. I'm always afraid of blowing some poor guys eardrums someday.

Like the man says, you can always turn it off, or ask for a refund! Wait....it's free! If a topic doesn't interest you, tune out but the podcasters devote an awfullt lot of time and skills to produce this while we are out doing other things. Sure, it's a passion for them, but it takes time away for the family and other than satisfaction, there are no monetary gains.

• Like 1

Well it's not "Freedom Rock" man! I wonder if anyone will get that reference?

I can gain it up a little bit. I'm always afraid of blowing some poor guys eardrums someday.

You should be aiming for 0db all through the audio chain.