RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win8CP, not impressed

axoid

The wife is away for spring break, I finally got time to play with Win8 Consumer Preview. After what I had heard online and in the news, I was looking forward to playing with it. After installing it, which I can say is the best OS install that I have seen yet, I played it for a couple of hours. I can say that I’m not impressed with the OS itself. I don’t care for Metro and the regular UI is a performance dog.

Yes, I did install it on some old hardware (3ghz Pentium 4) with just the onboard video and 2 GB of ram. But this is more than Microsoft’s minimum requirements.

The OS has the Aero graphics locked on and is slow at doing things. Just simple things like minimizing and maximizing a IE window took as much as a second. I couldn’t imagine using something like Photoshop. I downloaded Cut the Rope and playing it was horrible. The game itself told me that it was going to have performance problems, and it was basically unplayable. Back in the XP days I played Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Knight 2 on this machine with out problems. It might be better with a good GPU card, but this is still painful. I just wonder how this is going to work when it gets on low power tablets.

I’m also not a fan of metro on a desktop. I don’t care to have every app that I install on metro. I can see having the biggest and most used apps as tiles on metro, there are apps that I may only use once every two to six months and why would I want them cluttering up metro. Leave us the start button and have the classic navigation for the less used apps and for those that like it and make metro the boot landing screen. I can see metro working for touch screens, but with a mouse it is just difficult to navigate around.

Bill

After two hours of playing with Win8 I was so disappointed I turned it off and haven’t gone back. Hopefully this Consumer Preview will change again before November as it did from the Developers Preview. Other wise I'm likely to stay with Win7 for my machines.

I'm not a Win8 fanboy (at least not yet) but I think you may be giving Win8 a bit of an unfair hard time.

Yes, I did install it on some old hardware (3ghz Pentium 4) with just the onboard video and 2 GB of ram. But this is more than Microsoft’s minimum requirements.

Are you sure it meets minimum requirements? Everything I read on the Win8 blog says that it supports anything that has a Win7 Certification Logo. It seems unlikely a P4 computer could meet that criteria. IOW, if it ran Win7 well, then it will run Win8 as well or better.

I just wonder how this is going to work when it gets on low power tablets.

From the little I've seen so far the performance on tablets is very good, fluid and dynamic :)

I’m also not a fan of metro on a desktop. I don’t care to have every app that I install on metro. I can see having the biggest and most used apps as tiles on metro, there are apps that I may only use once every two to six months and why would I want them cluttering up metro. Leave us the start button and have the classic navigation for the less used apps and for those that like it and make metro the boot landing screen. I can see metro working for touch screens, but with a mouse it is just difficult to navigate around.

You don't have to have them all on the Metro screen; you can delete any of them you want. Also, you can place them anywhere you want on the Metro screen. Remember, the Metro screen scrolls, so there are more icons off to the right. You can place little used apps out there, or not at all - your choice.

According to Microsoft the minimum requirements for Win8 are Architecture x86 (32-bit) x86-64 (64-bit) Processor 1 GHz Memory (RAM) 1 GB 2 GB Graphics Card DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver HDD free space 16 GB 20 GB

The install ran a check for incompatibilities and didn't flag anything.

Before Win8, I had Vista installed on the machine and it didn't have the kind of performance issues that I experienced with 8. Microsoft makes no mention of processor generation, only GHz.

I saw that I could move and remove tiles in metro, but if I remove a rarely used app tile, how can I start that app in the rare occasion that I want to use it? That is the nice thing about the Start button. I can bury a app deep in the hierarchy so that it is not in the way but still simple to find. Metro just flattens the hierarchy to one level and I think that this is going to cause a usage nightmare.

I also found the scroll bar at the bottom of metro, it seemed clunky and a pain in the butt. It was one of the things that I disliked most in metro. They should have tried something more like the side scrolling that they use in Media Center, like in the program guide.

I don't think I'm being harsh. The machine more than meets their stated minimums and it was a dog. I've sure it runs like a champ on a quad-core i7 with a mega GPU, but Microsoft needs to ether work on their software or up their minimum requirements. I still think they need to work on the useability of the UI. The Start button needs to be on the desktop even with metro.

Now you've gone and done it....you mentioned adding the Start Button back in!! You were warned!

According to Microsoft the minimum requirements for Win8 are Architecture x86 (32-bit) x86-64 (64-bit) Processor 1 GHz Memory (RAM) 1 GB 2 GB Graphics Card DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver HDD free space 16 GB 20 GB

The install ran a check for incompatibilities and didn't flag anything.

Before Win8, I had Vista installed on the machine and it didn't have the kind of performance issues that I experienced with 8. Microsoft makes no mention of processor generation, only GHz.

Not much to say except it is a 'beta' - expecting final release performance at this point is, IMHO, unrealistic.

I saw that I could move and remove tiles in metro, but if I remove a rarely used app tile, how can I start that app in the rare occasion that I want to use it?

The easiest way I know of is to hit the WinKey and type the name of the app. I do it all the time and it works even better than in Win7.

I also found the scroll bar at the bottom of metro, it seemed clunky and a pain in the butt. It was one of the things that I disliked most in metro. They should have tried something more like the side scrolling that they use in Media Center, like in the program guide.

I just use my mouse - move it to the right side of the screen (avoiding the very top & bottom corners) and the screen scrolls like crazy.

I don't think I'm being harsh. The machine more than meets their stated minimums and it was a dog. I've sure it runs like a champ on a quad-core i7 with a mega GPU, but Microsoft needs to ether work on their software or up their minimum requirements. I still think they need to work on the useability of the UI. The Start button needs to be on the desktop even with metro.

Now that I have learned some of the shortcuts, and the ways MS really wants the UI to be used, I no longer miss the Start button. Realistically, there is no way it is coming back - it just isn't in the cards. I find the WinKey is a fantastic way to find things.

I am surprised at the performance issue. I saw performance issues on a VM but not on dedicated hardware. As for the Metro stuff, I did not like it at first but it grew on me as I messed with and learned more about the navigation. Most of the metro apps are garbage though and do not show what is possible. Just my observations.

The WinKey shortcuts have always been there, everyone just ignored them for the most part. It's just going to be a learing curve for everyone

The WinKey shortcuts have always been there, everyone just ignored them for the most part. It's just going to be a learing curve for everyone

Exactly. There are a few more to learn but, in general, they're the same as they were in Win7. People just aren't used to using them, but they are more efficient than the Start Menu ever was.

I think someone already posted a similar copy, but here is a link to the Shortcuts. I guess I can enlarge it and take down the Dr. Sheldon Cooper table of periodic elements

Not much to say except it is a 'beta' - expecting final release performance at this point is, IMHO, unrealistic.

I know it's 'beta' and I expect bugs and unoptimized code. But there is an expectation of some what reasonable performance. When my 900MKz netbook with Win7 out performs a Win8 'beta' on a 3GHz desktop, something is wrong.

The easiest way I know of is to hit the WinKey and type the name of the app. I do it all the time and it works even better than in Win7.

We may as well return to DOS if we're going to have to use the keyboard to find and start applications. I saw yesterday someone has already written an app to restore the start button to where it should be. Like with DE, if Microsoft wont do things right, some one will do it for them and they're going to loose users in the process. Just look to Windows Home Server 2011 as an example.

Edited by axoid