RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Rubix101

HSS as a Add-In?

JerryW

That's a cute little app Jerry.

Hey, I am trying to figure out his problem. I know some routers will stop UDP packets but I don't know what he has yet.

ikon

I wasn't teasing you. I was serious, it really is cute. I may actually use it from time to time.

JerryW

I wasn't teasing you. I was serious, it really is cute. I may actually use it from time to time.

Gotcha! :D If you need something a little better for testing, I would be happy to provide.. Just tell me what you have in mind.

Edited by JerryW

Rubix101

Are you running any sort of firewall or security suite software like norton, mcaffee, etc.? As described above there should be no reason for the alerts not being sent to your computer. Check the Backup Log and see if it contains information regarding the other computer. Also, tell me a little bit about your router.

Jerry,

My router is a Trendnet TEW-652BRP and I am only running Microsoft Security Essentials and utilizing the windows firewall on both computers. The backup log only shows information for the local PC on the respective computer as I am only testing on 2 PC's at the moment.

Rubix101,

Until we figure this out, try to download this small .exe file and run it on your computer. All this program does is show a button. Once pressed, you should get a tray notification showing your computer name and a balloon message that says 'notification test'. If you run this on one machine, that machine should return your computer name, etc. If you leave the prg running and run it from another, you should see the result from the computer where the button is pressed. What will this prove. Well, if the app shows the notification locally then it will tell us that your computer is sending/receiving the packets, etc. Download Link: http://db.tt/8zZiY2RS

This small app is the same code I use to send the notifications without all the extra.

I also ran this cool little app and it only gave me a notice on the local PC with no notice or response when also run on the second computer. I am sure something on my system is blocking the communication either at the firewall or router level but not sure why that is.

Many thanks for your help!

ikon

I also ran this cool little app and it only gave me a notice on the local PC with no notice or response when also run on the second computer. I am sure something on my system is blocking the communication either at the firewall or router level but not sure why that is.

Not to be too obvious, but why not just disable the firewall temporarily and try the 'cool little app' again. If that doesn't help, turn off MSE temporarily & try it. The first step is identifying the underlying cause of the issue.

Rubix101

Not to be too obvious, but why not just disable the firewall temporarily and try the 'cool little app' again. If that doesn't help, turn off MSE temporarily & try it. The first step is identifying the underlying cause of the issue.

Unfortunately I tried that and it didn't work, I turned off the windows firewall and disabled MSE on both computers to no avail, not sure what is blocking those packets. The search continues...

ikon

Unfortunately I tried that and it didn't work, I turned off the windows firewall and disabled MSE on both computers to no avail, not sure what is blocking those packets. The search continues...

A couple of other thoughts:

1. have you tried connecting 2 of the computers directly together with an Ethernet cable?
  2. t might be time to try something like WireShark so you can actually watch the packets coming and going.

JerryW

Rubix101,

I skimmed over your routers manual. Some NAT'd routers will not allow UDP broadcasting in this fashion. For a better usage example: in my environment, I have a switch plugged into my router, and all of my connections into the switch. Internal traffic is separated from the router unless needed. If you can, try this scenario. Which in truth, I would recommend even if you are not using HSS. What I would like you to do is setup a 'Special AP' with the protocol UDP, triggers set to port 2564, and incoming the same. Make sure you set this to ENABLED at the top. Now try to send/receive notifications from another computer, using HSS and/or the little app I gave you.

Let me know!

Rubix101

Rubix101,

I skimmed over your routers manual. Some NAT'd routers will not allow UDP broadcasting in this fashion. For a better usage example: in my environment, I have a switch plugged into my router, and all of my connections into the switch. Internal traffic is separated from the router unless needed. If you can, try this scenario. Which in truth, I would recommend even if you are not using HSS. What I would like you to do is setup a 'Special AP' with the protocol UDP, triggers set to port 2564, and incoming the same. Make sure you set this to ENABLED at the top. Now try to send/receive notifications from another computer, using HSS and/or the little app I gave you.

Let me know!

While I work on getting a switch to reconfigure my network, in the meantime I did add the UDP trigger for port 2564 under the Special AP section of my router but yet again it did not change the results. I am truly perplexed what is blocking the broadcast. I also ran Wireshark as Ikon had suggested and while it captured a ton of traffic I didn't see anything in relation to a UDP broadcast on port 2564 from the test app you sent although I am not sure if it shows up as something else on Wireshark or needs some particular filter.

On a separate note I ran Netstat which indicated that your test app is broadcasting on port 2456, so I used that for the router as well however it did not fix the problem either.

Again thanks for everyone's time to help troubleshoot, just not sure why my system is being a pain!

JerryW

While I work on getting a switch to reconfigure my network, in the meantime I did add the UDP trigger for port 2564 under the Special AP section of my router but yet again it did not change the results. I am truly perplexed what is blocking the broadcast. I also ran Wireshark as Ikon had suggested and while it captured a ton of traffic I didn't see anything in relation to a UDP broadcast on port 2564 from the test app you sent although I am not sure if it shows up as something else on Wireshark or needs some particular filter.

On a separate note I ran Netstat which indicated that your test app is broadcasting on port 2456, so I used that for the router as well however it did not fix the problem either.

Again thanks for everyone's time to help troubleshoot, just not sure why my system is being a pain!

Yeah, I meant to tell you if you are going to use the test app to set the special ap to 2456. I made the port on the test app different on purpose. I did not want it to interfere with your existing HSS installation. I should have mentioned this. Sorry.