RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Rubix101

HSS as a Add-In?

Rubix101

I have been playing around and testing this program and it is great! I love the fact I can now get actual notifications about backups starting and completing via email.

I do have a couple of questions I was hoping you could clarify:

While I have the Enable Network Alerts and Backup Log checked on all machines I only see notices on my desktop for my machine. Am I supposed to be notified via my tray icon when another backup starts on another machine or is that merely to enable the feature to then broadcast via Prowl or SMTP?

Also I am not sure how easy or difficult this would be but what is the feasability to have HSS as an Add-In on the server side to broadcast backup status's in lieu of having a front end on machines where the user doesnt really need an interface or need to know its being backed up (ie. kids, wife)? Perhaps this can also notify you when the server itself is being backed up as well.

Thanks for your time and a great product!

JerryW

I need to add more clarification about this. Sorry that I have not. In order to get notifications on your main pc whether it be desktop, smtp, iOS, or android, you only need to enable network alerts on your main pc not all your computers. You should the get tray notifications for your computer and all others. If you enable smtp, prowl, etc you will also get those.

As for sever-side, I have no interest, at this time on putting anything on the server.

I understand your statement about kids, etc not needing to know but HSS is meant to let them know. Why? Well, as a deter ant against shutting the computer off during a backup for one thing but I will take your comment under advisement.

Edited by JerryW

JerryW

Rubix101,

When HSS was installed, did you allow the entry into the Windows Firewall? The messages are sent via UDP to all on the same network via port 2564

Edited by JerryW

Rubix101

I appreciate the quick feedback and entertaining my comment about the possibility of an add-in. I will uncheck the network alerts box on the other computers and double check that the firewall has the port allowed.

Thanks again.

Rubix101

Just a quick follow up, I unchecked the alert box on the other computer and is enabled on my computer. I checked windows firewall and it shows HSS allowed on all ports on both UDP and TCP on inbound. Do I need a special outbound rule for port 2564 on PC's running it or just some rule on my computer to receive the broadcast? I tried various settings but still couldnt get the alerts echoed on my computer during backups on another computer.

JerryW

Just a quick follow up, I unchecked the alert box on the other computer and is enabled on my computer. I checked windows firewall and it shows HSS allowed on all ports on both UDP and TCP on inbound. Do I need a special outbound rule for port 2564 on PC's running it or just some rule on my computer to receive the broadcast? I tried various settings but still couldnt get the alerts echoed on my computer during backups on another computer.

After you posted your message, I re-checked my computers in my home to see if I would get the messages as well during a backup and I did get them. I was merely re-checking to make sure no updates I performed changed the code and stopped the messages. As for needing any special outbound rule, no you do not and the two inbound rules are correct. I assume all of your computers are on the same subnet and switch? Also, out of curiosity, not that it should matter but the users running HSS on the other computers, are they Limited Users or Admins?

Rubix101

After you posted your message, I re-checked my computers in my home to see if I would get the messages as well during a backup and I did get them. I was merely re-checking to make sure no updates I performed changed the code and stopped the messages. As for needing any special outbound rule, no you do not and the two inbound rules are correct. I assume all of your computers are on the same subnet and switch? Also, out of curiosity, not that it should matter but the users running HSS on the other computers, are they Limited Users or Admins?

Both of my computers are on the same workgroup feeding off a single router via DHCP and can see/talk to each other via windows network and the homegroup, they are also configured as Admins.

JerryW

Are you running any sort of firewall or security suite software like norton, mcaffee, etc.? As described above there should be no reason for the alerts not being sent to your computer. Check the Backup Log and see if it contains information regarding the other computer. Also, tell me a little bit about your router.

JerryW

Rubix101,

Until we figure this out, try to download this small .exe file and run it on your computer. All this program does is show a button. Once pressed, you should get a tray notification showing your computer name and a balloon message that says 'notification test'. If you run this on one machine, that machine should return your computer name, etc. If you leave the prg running and run it from another, you should see the result from the computer where the button is pressed. What will this prove. Well, if the app shows the notification locally then it will tell us that your computer is sending/receiving the packets, etc. Download Link: http://db.tt/8zZiY2RS

This small app is the same code I use to send the notifications without all the extra.

Edited by JerryW

ikon

That's a cute little app Jerry.