RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hellosri

WHS 2011 Frequently losing RocketRAID 2680

ikon

Glad all is well again.

pcdoc

The system is now stable, and I haven't seen any issues in the past 12hrs. Glad it was just the OS that failed, and that the data on my RAID 5 is safe.

I think it was a combination of heat and screwy software to blame, I had a windows 8 preview VM and some questionable software, drivers & codecs that turned the WHS into a dvblink tv tuner/ streaming server. The fan and the clean install fixed everything. After that nightmare, I'm going to leave the poor WHS alone. I'll setup another server for network tuner/ streaming, that will let me play, without worry of data loss.

Thanks for all your help guys.

VM on 2011 maybe a bit risky. One advantage of a dedicated card is exactly what happened to you. You can move it, replace the OS, replace the MB or whatever you want with no risk to the array. If the card goes bad, just put a replacement card or a higher model, load the drivers and you are on your way. One suggestion is get a third party backup program (just for the OS) and backup periodically to an external or dedicated internal drive. I use Acronis with a USB recovery for such unplanned events. Good luck and keep us posted.

hellosri

Is it possible to use "Windows Server Backup" to backup the WHS 2011 OS drive? I'm sure my internal backup drive, a 3TB gpt partition will cause issues, unless I partition it to 2TB or less.

jmwills

Yes, but the built-in server backup utility will only see 2T of that drive.

ikon

Yes, but the built-in server backup utility will only see 2T of that drive.

Yep, which is why I went with 2 old 250GB enterprise drives I had on hand (mirrored). The built-in OS backup works fine for me.

jmwills

Absolutely!

hellosri

I just use the "windows server backup" for individual folders/ critical stuff - photos, docs, music, software etc. I haven't backed up the server OS partition so far, but it makes sense to use a disk imaging tool for the OS drive. Re-installing the OS is tedious.

ikon

I just use the "windows server backup" for individual folders/ critical stuff - photos, docs, music, software etc. I haven't backed up the server OS partition so far, but it makes sense to use a disk imaging tool for the OS drive. Re-installing the OS is tedious.

I prefer to keep data in a non-image based backup, so I have ready access to the files but completely agree about the OS - so much easier to reinstall from an image.