RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hellosri

WHS 2011 Frequently losing RocketRAID 2680

hellosri

My highpoint rocketraid 2680 frequently goes missing/ disappears, taking my RAID 5 array with the WHS shared folders and any hard drives connected to it. This sometimes happens in the middle of a remote desktop session when the server suddenly crashes.

A reboot usually fixes it, and occasionally a cold reboot is required to bring it back. I have the latest drivers, and the RAID array is fine with all of the drives in good shape. The highpoint maintenance screen does not have any warnings, but I do notice all the drives are running above 100 degrees F.

I'm suspecting a heat issue, since I don't have a fan on the 2680, but motherboard/ other things could also be to blame.

I have the following specs

WHS 2011

Gigabyte H57 USB 3 motherboard

Core i3 550

8GB DDR3

256GB WD for OS

4TB RAID 5 with 3 2TB seagate

3TB Hitachi single drive

I'll slap a fan on the card tonight, and see if that fixes the problem. But I'm really not sure whats going on, and welcome comments and suggestions from this forum.

ikon

How much above 100F? That's not necessarily all that hot. Drives often run at 30C to 40C and work OK (100F is ~38C).

hellosri
How much above 100F? That's not necessarily all that hot. Drives often run at 30C to 40C and work OK (100F is ~38C).

Usually below 110. But thats the drive temp, the card is usually hot enough to fry an egg.

ikon

Ah. In that situation, I would first want to find out if it's heat for sure. Do you have a table top fan, or something like that? If so, shut down the computer, remove the side panel, and aim that fan at full speed into the inside of the case. Turn the computer on and see how it goes. This is only for testing of course, but it's a quick way to find out if it really is heat, which it sounds like it might be.

jmwills

The card should not get that hot.

pcdoc

The 2680 runs very hot, at least for me. I have run fans on all my RAID setups since day one. Here is a picture of my ghetto fan setup I made from a PCI slot holder. As for your drop, it one of two things. Either the card is bad, or it is not seated correctly, (ie., your case is pulling it out a bit). I had this issue about a year ago and ended up having to mod the bracket so that it remained seated properly. I would suggest that first along with a fan. If that does not solve it you may have a bad card. Drivers typically will not do this unless you have some strange software running.

p1010723t.jpg

jmwills

Love that mod

ikon

nice mod pcdoc, but don't you hate to lose slots for things like that. Not that you have much choice, but still.....

hellosri

I added an 80cm ghetto fan myself, (thx pcdoc). However before I could test it, my 1-1/2yr old played with the off switch on the server yesterday and corrupted my OS. More fun!!

I stayed up all night to reinstall WHS 2011 from scratch. I still have to install the connectors and addins. But on the plus side, now I have a fan & a clean install.

If the card acts up again I'll probably rma it.

hellosri

The system is now stable, and I haven't seen any issues in the past 12hrs. Glad it was just the OS that failed, and that the data on my RAID 5 is safe.

I think it was a combination of heat and screwy software to blame, I had a windows 8 preview VM and some questionable software, drivers & codecs that turned the WHS into a dvblink tv tuner/ streaming server. The fan and the clean install fixed everything. After that nightmare, I'm going to leave the poor WHS alone. I'll setup another server for network tuner/ streaming, that will let me play, without worry of data loss.

Thanks for all your help guys.