RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP v3 and new system drive - re: podcast 78

freddieanto

Ok. Listening to podcast 78 today and Alex Kuretz mentioned replacing the system drive to a larger one while doing the V 3.0 update.

My question is, has anybody done this and can it really work? I defiantly would like to swap this with a 2TB drive while I am Updating!

Thanks,
Fred

That's definitely a tempting idea. The only problem for me is that I don't have enough space to remove my large drive from the pool. Maybe I need to spring for the 2TB drive sooner than later.

Sure you can do it. Back up your server (folders and backup database) beforehand. If you have dup enabled, then I'd guess you'd just swap out the drive and run system reinstall before you do the v 3.0 update.

I don't use dup. I prefer to use a 1.5 TB external drive, connected via eSATA using a Thermaltake BlacX toaster, for backing the folder shares and backup database (done with BDBB). So I'd do it differently. I'd first back up everything to my external archive drive. Then disconnect everything, slide in the new drive and perform a reinstall on that. Then add the storage drive(s). Then run BDBB to import the backup database. Then manually import my folder shares. And lastly, I'd reinstall my addins. Then I'd probably do all the Windows updates, and then finally I'd be ready for the 3.0 update.

Crap. LOL! I knew I was going to have to do all that, I was trying to avoid coping all that to externals. Thats going to take another week. LOL!

I just dont want to lose what I have, so I guess safe is best.

And I just bought Windows 7 that I have to install on my laptop this weekend too. Glad I dont have to cut the grass this weekend!

Fred

If you have a lot of coin, maybe switching out the system drive for a SAFE drive might just be the ticket http://homeservershow.com/tranquil-pc-mirrors-your-windows-home-server-os-drive-in-raid-1.html
The one from Tranquil has it all

You can also get the one from Icydock, http://www.icydock.com/eblastimage/mb982_1bay_open_hi.jpg this is cheaper since you supply the drives and software.

Apparently Andrew Edney over at Using Windows Home Server wasn't able to install the ex47* update from a windows 7 computer, and had to use a Vista computer to do it. That's a little disconcerting to me as all 4 computes in my house are win7.

That's not an issue in my house. Typing on an XP desktop, wife uses a Vista Home premium laptop and my work laptop is still XP Pro.

Now, if you had a virtual copy of XP or Vista running, would that work?

Virtual. Good question. I don't know. Can you install virtual PC 2007 on Win7 Home Premium. Might have to bust out VMWare.

The thing is, you can do the quick & easy way, Make sure ALL your shares have duplication turned on ( because you will be loosing all the data that is on the d: partition of the system drive since you are replacing it, and turning on duplication on ALL folders ensure that the missing files are copied to one or more of the other drives). Then you install a new drive, do a server recovery which will not delete the shares. Then the system will see that some files that were deleted off the system drive no longer exist and since duplication is turned on, it will rebuild them.

Or as a safer method, as dvn did, backup your shares to an external or internal non pooled drive as a safety method.

The thing is, you have to have enough disk storage space to either have all your folders duplicated. If you have a large HD DVD collection that is not duplicated, this would not be practical. Or also have enough space to do a backup of your shares.

I'm wondering if there is a simpler way using Drive Balancer to move off all the content off the d: partition thereby not needing folder duplication turned on. But this might present other problems.

• 2 months later...

I'm also trying to replace the system drive while updating the OS on my 475. I have backed everything up but I can't get out of the starting blocks because I can't get the server into recovery mode. I press reset when the status lights are blinking blue & red but, try as I might, I never see the purple & red that the instructions tell me means I'm in recover mode. Are there any secrets to the timing of pressing the reset button ? Or any other ways to force the server into recovery mode ? FWIW - I'm trying to upgrade from a Win7-64 bit PC.

Thanks.