RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

POLL : Did you buy a HP Microserver ?

Did/will you buy a HP Microserver ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Did or will you buy a HP Microserver ?

• Nope, underpowered. A piece of junk.
    • Yes, it's fantastic. What else can I run on it ?
    • Did/will you buy more than 1 ?

diehard

Looks like the HP Microserver deals keeps coming. :D

• Like 2

Joe_Miner

Great little box! Very glad I got it!

jmwills

No, I bought Microserver"s" :D

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

No, I bought Microserver"s" :D

Interesting, I wonder how many on this Forum have bought 2 or more.

I can think of 3 off hand: you, Diehard, and JazerJay! I'm sure there's more!

ikon

Wow, the poll choices are kinda polar. My only choices are "it's fantastic" or "it's junk"??? Where's the middle ground choice?

jmwills

You're either with us or against us...pardner!!!

osquest

I have to admit to having 5.

1. WHS 2011

2. pfSense

3. Web Server (internal for development, not on the internet)

4. Test server running whatever drive is in the bay. (or drives)

5. Another test/spare server. I justify this on as a ready spare when one of the other ones fails. But the reality is I just like the server,

diehard

Wow, the poll choices are kinda polar. My only choices are "it's fantastic" or "it's junk"??? Where's the middle ground choice?

If you have a suggestions, I'll add it. I was being silly when I created the poll.

Delete your vote then re-enter your choices.

I can think of 3 off hand: you, Diehard, and JazerJay! I'm sure there's more!

Ok, I added a choice.

yodafett

Have 2 at the house, 2 at the church, 1 at work

Church is AD and file server with a backup ad and file server backup

Home is Openfiler for iSCSI backup for both church and home

Second one is my CommodoreVision box (Long live my C64)/Tivoli Storage Manager backup

Work is my offsite backup for the house again a TSM box

jazzerjay

I have to admit to having 5.

1. WHS 2011

2. pfSense

3. Web Server (internal for development, not on the internet)

4. Test server running whatever drive is in the bay. (or drives)

5. Another test/spare server. I justify this on as a ready spare when one of the other ones fails. But the reality is I just like the server,

Exactly what I think these are great servers, you can build or stack them up high.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Is it possible to install any PCIe SATA card and boot from an attached SSD instead of internal MicroSD/USB/ODD?

Are there any special requirements needed to boot from an SSD connected to a cheap PCIe SATA III card?

Are there any limitations?
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Looking for a quick answer here from someone in the know...

I upgraded some of the internals of my Gen8 server and at the same time I did a BIOS reset as I had forgotten the password that I had set years ago. When booting back up the upgraded hardware was detected and fine but I received Error 1784 - Drive Array - Logical Drive Failure. I believe this is due to a setting change in the BIOS and not anything hardware related. I have gone into IP/SSA and see the array needs to be rebuilt. I had all drives configured as single RAID0. It says all data will be lost if I reconfigure this but I remember reading somewhere on here that the data will be fine if I reconfigure as RAID0.

I do have a backup of course, but it’s not a high availability mirror and will take some time to get back the way I had it, so just want to know if it’s safe to reconfigure the RAID0 without erasing the drives. I have tried pulling the drives out and connecting them to another PC and they are fine. Can anyone tell me which options to choose to get these back to normal and remove the flashing red light?

Thanks 😶
    • Taztaztic
      By Taztaztic
      Hi all,

I am new to the server world (please be gentle) and I desperately need some help!

I recently acquired a HP MicroServer Gen8. Bays 1 & 2 have 1TB SSD each and I believe they are setup in a RAID 1 config (not sure how to check) and have windows server 2012 installed.

Bays 3 & 4 are empty and I recently purchased a 4TB WD Blue Hard Drive and managed to install windows 10 onto it via a separate computer.

I've now inserted the 4TB Hard drive into bay 3 and want windows 10 to load up, but its not doing that....it keeps loading up windows server 2012 thats in bays 1/2 hard drives.

How can I choose which bay to boot windows from? I like it to boot from Bay 3 most of the time that has windows 10.

In normal computers, it was simple to organise the boot order via BIOS, but with the Gen8 its seems very complex with HP's own BIOS...etc and it's starting to give me a headache!

Any help from anyone will be really appreciated!

A simple easy to follow instructions will suffice.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!