RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nas or Internal Datastore [ESXi]

bitleague

I'm going to build a new ESXi server that will last for at least 4-5 years and am going to follow closely to what Tinker has with vZilla.

Since hardware Raid is very expensive I'm debating on getting a NAS, maybe something like the Synology DS211J, and run 2x3TB in Raid for my Datastores.

The Hard Drives for WHS 11 would just be locally on the box and mirrored in WHS 11.

On my current ESXi I have 2 Datastores that are not in Raid. The VM's are backed up to the WHS and the WHS OS is backed up to an external HD twice a week. Might sound a bit messy, but this covers me in case one of the Datastores fail (which has happened before).

I'm still struggling on which way to go for the Datastores, internal or NAS. A Raid card may be cleaner as it wouldn't require another machine to run, but seems very costly to implement.

An internal RAID Card would be less expensive than an external NAS device. RocketRAID 2720

An internal RAID Card would be less expensive than an external NAS device. RocketRAID 2720

I suppose it would be once you add the cost of the HDD to throw into it.

Reading the reviews on the RocketRaid, they are horrible. Also looks like it's not a true hardware raid so it would not be supported in ESXi.

Don't rely on customer reviews to make a final decision. How many times after making a purchase do you go to make a positive post? Certianly not me, but if is bad, look out. I would say the review from this forum who use those cards has been VERY positive.

At the lowest level, EVERYTHING is a software RAID. Just my .02

True, providing you don't make a distinction between software and firmware.

BTW, you did a great job on BYOB. Compared to you, my life has been boring :)

Don't rely on customer reviews to make a final decision. How many times after making a purchase do you go to make a positive post? Certianly not me, but if is bad, look out. I would say the review from this forum who use those cards has been VERY positive.

I did some searching on here and elsewhere, it doesn't appear this card is supported in ESXi 5. At least I can't find anything confirming that it works.

Gets out soapbox

Steps up

Clears throat

Your answer is iSCSI

An atom d525 can power an open filer iscsi host with separate iscsi targets for whs (one of those lian Li q08 work great but mine is a antec gamer 300)

Then your esxI box only needs a USB drive (San disk cruzer fit are the size of a wireless nano dongle)

This way you don't need to worry about esxI raid and can literally use a nettop or laptop even for a esxI host

Off soap box

I couldn't agree more with Yodafett, go with iSCSI. It's easy to setup (Your mileage will vary with the different flavors) and relatively cheap. However, if you are serious about going internal RAID, I would look at one of two places as a minimum. The first is the VMware HCL, which is hardware that has been tested and approved by VMware to work. The second site is for VMware Whitebox building. I can tell you that I've gotten ESX5i to run on equipment that was not listed on either site, but that was for testing and just messing around with old equipment, never for production. Good luck and let us know what you decide. I'm also for hire as a consultant. ;)

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?btnG=Search&cn=vmware&cc=www&client=VMware_Site&entqr=0&ud=1&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=VMware_gsa_Site&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&sort=date:D:L:d1&site=VMware_Site&num=20

http://ultimatewhitebox.com/index.php

Thanks for some of the information. I'm leaning more towards a self built NAS, even though it means running another PC. However it also means I don't have to make my ESXi as fancy (ie. MB with 8 Sata ports) so I could save some money there.