RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

$179.99 HP Microserver is back!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Gee, put 2 of them together and you might almost have a real server!! :D :D I kid, I kid.

That is what I was thinking. Well, without the "I kid, I kid." part.

Gaaaa! It's gone! Where was I 2 hrs ago?

That was below my purchase threshold. Drat! Foiled again.

Give it a week and there will be another sale. They obviously can't sell them at the asking price or they wouldn't be on sale every week.

jmwills

No kidding....these are good little boxes.

As mentioned on the BYOB last week, mine is a COOP Server that all the other servers dump their files to. This new one will be the pfSense/Untangle test box. I could not buy the parts and build it that cheap.

ikon

I bet there are some people at HP going, "Whaaaaa????, how come these boxes are sooo popular?"

jmwills

At a certain price point, anything is popular! :D

ikon

At a certain price point, anything is popular! :D

I agree. I have to admit I find FREE very tempting (most times) :D

jmwills

nah......Free and a mail in rebate is even better

Joe_Miner

No kidding....these are good little boxes.

As mentioned on the BYOB last week, mine is a COOP Server that all the other servers dump their files to. This new one will be the pfSense/Untangle test box. I could not buy the parts and build it that cheap.

They are great little boxes and for a small business server, basic home server, or a home lab/virtual test server you just can't beat the price.

nah......Free and a mail in rebate is even better

Yes, I like those!

jazzerjay

These are great boxes so far. They're not powerhouses, but they're not bad either. Besides, it's hard to find a "server" for under $200. Perhaps one of my BL460c G7s with dual 2.8 six cores and 192GB of RAM would better suit your needs?

ikon

Perhaps one of my BL460c G7s with dual 2.8 six cores and 192GB of RAM would better suit your needs?

Can they play Solitaire good? :D :D

Joe_Miner

These are great boxes so far. They're not powerhouses, but they're not bad either. Besides, it's hard to find a "server" for under $200. ...

When I look at what I can do with this thing for such a minimal cost it's really a no-brainer. I'm very happy that I got mine and I'm finding that it's a great educational tool besides being a great little server. Being able to set it up with a host and 4 VM's has been fun and mind expanding. I have my 2011 VM doing doing some real work while I'm able to do some test driving on the other machines on the Server. It was nice last night during HSS live to be able to open a window to my Win 8 and Server 8 machines while the guys on HSS talked about them.

I also discovered (after a couple glasses of wine) that while my 2011 VM was moving ~200GB of data over my network with Allway Sync and I had IE10 in W8 VM open to the HSS live cast full screen and I wen to XP VM had it do a search for Windows updates while opening IE8 -- the live stream on IE8 full screen was a little choppy -- who would have thought it :)

Though, now that i think about it I had to use a legacy NIC for XP in Hyper-V and If I recall correctly the legacy NIC isn't a gigabit so..... I see another test in the future! I should have tried the Metro IE 10 in additon to the desktop IE10. I did have the USA Today Metro App open.

Someday, I'm looking forward to knowing enough to load it with ESXi and take it for a spin :) with a number of VM's