RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

wireless keyboard that can access the BIOS/EFI

ikon

This isn't exactly within the scope of this forum, but there isn't a 'miscellaneous' forum, so I'm posting it here.

My HTPC has UEFI. When I'm running Win7 my Microsoft 6000 Mobile Keyboard and Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX work just fine. However, if I need to get into the UEFI, I have to connect a regular USB corded keyboard because the wireless one just won't work. The mouse works fine, but not the keyboard.

Does anyone know of a particular keyboard that can be used to access UEFI and, if possible, also BIOS? My preference would be for a keyboard that is a similar to the MS keyboard as possible (I find it an ideal keyboard for use in a living room).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Lurker

• yodafett

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK, it is not possible since none of the drivers to run the devices would have been loaded at that point.

I might agree, except the wireless mouse works just fine. I guess the UEFI must have a generic USB driver included. If I get a keyboard that uses the same wireless tech I should be good to go, no?

My cheap logitech mouse keyb combo works fine with Asus UEFI, but MS combo shits the whole UEFI. So it's kinda lucky shot what works and what doesn't.

Agreed, as long as it is detected by a generic driver it should work. No issues with K520 and matching mouse.

My Logitech Wireless MK300 works just like a wired keyboard with Asus UEFI. Must be something with the Microsoft implementation of wireless.

My Logitech Wireless MK300 works just like a wired keyboard with Asus UEFI. Must be something with the Microsoft implementation of wireless.

My working hypothesis is that it's related to bluetooth in that it's unlikely that the BIOS/UEFI has a Bluetooth driver built in. From the Logitech website it seems like the MK300 is NOT Bluetooth, which would support that hypothesis. Can you confirm?

Also, even if the MK300 does work, I'm really hoping to find a smaller keyboard, one without the numeric keypad would be nice, similar to the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 http://www.microsoft...-6000/CXD-00001 I have now, except not Bluetooth.