RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Efficient file transfer from V1?

TheGuy

Ok folks,

I have a 109GB file and i am trying to copy it, move it to a disk on my PC. For whatever reason it gets to the end of a copy and fails. Yet the file is good and I can play the video. But I cannot copy it off my WHS-V1.

I tried xcopy, robocopy, copy from DOS; but I get a network access denied and have not figured out how to get around the access denied issue.

Any FAST way to move a file from WHs-V1 to networked PC?

Thank you.

RichCopy, RoboCopy, are good ways to move files, but that's the largest file I've heard of anyone trying to move. What does the Event Viewer say? Have you tried doing it in Safe Mode?

The largest file I've copied (that I can recal) was an iso that was 50GB -- I used TerraCopy with the error check turned on. It wasn't ultra fast but it worked.

If it's always failing at the same point I would seriously suspect that there actually is something wrong with the file. I've seen situations where a file appears to be OK but there is something about it that makes some operations on it fail. If you have room, try making a backup copy of it on the same drive or at least on the same system (i.e. NOT over the network).

To troubleshoot, see if you can copy the file to a USB drive. That will tell you if there is something wrong with the file.

Just for grins...try renaming the file extention to .txt and see if the copy goes any different