RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8 and HSS forum login issue

timekills

Anyone else not able to log in to the HSS forums using IE 10 and Windows 8? All I get is the three boxes on the top like it is waiting to bring up the authentication box.

It is on two actual and one virtual Win8 boxes I'm using so it doesn't appear to be localized to any one system.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• timekills

• msawyer91

I'll check again when I get home but I thought I was able to do it on my Win8 lappy. I do seem to recall it being a bit weird though. I don't understand why forums in general don't just stick to using a login page instead of a popup.

Just tried it using both the Metro IE and the Desktop version. Got the popup OK both times and was able to log in fine. In fact, this reply is from the Desktop version.

Anyone else not able to log in to the HSS forums using IE 10 and Windows 8? All I get is the three boxes on the top like it is waiting to bring up the authentication box.

It is on two actual and one virtual Win8 boxes I'm using so it doesn't appear to be localized to any one system.

You're not the only one with this problem. I rebuilt my desktop with Windows 8 just yesterday and tried to log in to Home Server Show with it today. I tried Metro IE 10 and "regular" IE 10, and in both cases I just had the three-box animation at the top of the screen.

Interestingly, I installed Google Chrome on Windows 8, and the login dialogue came up instantly! Fancy that...chalk another one up for Google Chrome!

Once again, IE just sucks. Chrome just works.

I just got in with IE-10 with a Win8 in VM without problem but earlier this evening I was having problems with it skipping keystrokes which was really odd when I was just trying to do some general web surfing.

Maybe it's just a matter of shutting down IE-10 and restarting it -- very odd.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Weird how some people have issues and some, like me, don't.

That's hard to say. I can't blame it on an application conflict because I didn't install anything on that box other than the Intel RST, since the default driver was pretty ancient. The NVIDIA graphics driver was also pretty old, so I upgraded that as well. I cannot imagine either of these would impact IE. I would think a browser plug-in or extension would be more likely to cause a problem, not an I/O or graphics driver.

You're not the only one with this problem. I rebuilt my desktop with Windows 8 just yesterday and tried to log in to Home Server Show with it today. I tried Metro IE 10 and "regular" IE 10, and in both cases I just had the three-box animation at the top of the screen.

Interestingly, I installed Google Chrome on Windows 8, and the login dialogue came up instantly! Fancy that...chalk another one up for Google Chrome!

Once again, IE just sucks. Chrome just works.

Same here. Logged on right now using Chrome from the Win8 box. IE10 desktop and Metro both still just sit and wait...and wait...and wait...

No missing keystrokes. It's very responsive in IE, and I can't complain the speed browsing with it. If anything, IE10 uses considerably less memory with the same amount of open tabs than Chrome does. But not logging in to HSS forums? Pfft. Lose.

Might have to install WinIce and see where it is hanging. I'm sure MS will jump on it, just like they have on the WHS2011 UR2 error *cough*.

I had problems with IE 10 also. Did not try another browser. The issue I had was when I hit the sign in button, nothing seemed to happen. Two things to consider...its IE 10 and is the forum software compatible yet?

Might have to install WinIce and see where it is hanging. I'm sure MS will jump on it, just like they have on the WHS2011 UR2 error *cough*.

That could be interesting. It's pretty strange that it works for some and not others. I mean, it's not like we've got radically different configurations at this point; we all just installed it so it should be pretty fresh. Probably the most different thing is whether it's installed on bare metal or in a VM.