RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

License Dilemma - advice

AlexF

My 30day trial license is coming to an end.

I own 2x 120day trial licenses. However, as I understand, I can't enter the second 120day license without needing to reinstall WHS after the first 120day license expires. So, I can't use them contigously, correct?

The OEM license is about AUD$140. But the issue is that WHS2 is coming, soon (within 120 days, 240 days), and I don't really want to pay this late in the WHS1 cycle.

So, what's the advice?

If the product is worth $140 to you, then I don't go ahead and buy it. Remember that the more money a product earns, the more effort will be put into development.
Personally, I don't think WHS2 will come out within 120 days, and probably not even 240. I'd go ahead and buy it. That's just me though. I've actually paid for 2 licenses, as I bought the OEM before I upgraded to a ex470.

Just install the trail version and try it out. if you like it, buy it. 140 AUD for this IS is dirt cheap. Besides, you don't HAVE to upgrade to Vail if you don't need any of the new features

I think you have the solution. You said you have (2) 120-day licenses. Just use them and hope that WHS2 has been released by the time you they expire. Don't know about having to reinstall to get the keys activated in order to start a new 120-day trial, but you could do worse.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about WHS2 pricing. I'm betting that it's going to cost $100 more than the present OEM.

> Besides, you don't HAVE to upgrade to Vail if you don't need any of the new features
More than likely, I wouldn't want any new features - except for one thing - WHS1 doesn't have ability to backup itself. (Considering that WHS is a consumer product, this is) stupid but true. I am sure Microsoft will correct this serious omission in WHS2.

My aim isn't to cheat Microsoft - I'll gladly pay for WHS2, but rather not buy a new license for a superceeded product (WHS1). I would have hoped that Microsoft would announce that anyone buying a new WHS1 license now (even at WHS2 price, what ever it would be) would get a free upgrade to WHS2 once released.

While everyone would always like to have free upgrades when new versions of software roll out, companies spend money to create the new products. We may not agree with how much they charge but we can always choose not to spend the money or use the product. I enjoy collecting a paycheck for the new product design work I do and when people decide to not buy my product, my company sees me as less valuable.

Software is no different than hardware when it comes to waiting for the next generation product to hit the store shelves. If you wait for the latest and greatest you will be stuck in an endless waiting period. I say if you like it, buy the software so Microsoft earns some money for their work. If you aren't sure, use the trial.

Like usacomp2k3, I doubt it will be ready in 240 days. I guarantee it won't be ready in 120 days. I have played with vail and it has a lot of work required before it will be completed. Just spend the money beause it isn't worth the risk.

My advice still stands. But I'll add - make backups (server folders and BDBB) to an archive drive. Then even if you come up short you'll still have your data, and except for you computer backups (BDBB), you'll be able to access them from that archive drive if you hook it up to your PC. I'm not saying you necessarily want to do this, but I'm saying that if you really want to wait for WHS2, then you can deal with it in this way.