RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Move VM's to a New Host running Hyper-V

Joe_Miner

To move my VM's that are on my MicroServer to a New Host would I need to export each VM and import those VM's into the new host or could I simply shut down each VM and since all the VM's are on one drive -- just move the Drive and import those VM's?

The reason I'm asking and what I was thinking of trying is shutting down each VM then wipe 2K8R2 off my OS drive and install either Server 8 or Win 8 (haven't decided yet which -- may try both eventually) -- start up Hyper-V and then import my VM's into the new host. Then a little voice in my head said that maybe I should ask about this.

Wouldn't this be essentially the same as if I had lost the OS drive and wanted to rebuild the host?

I've been trying to follow best practices of keeping just the OS on the OS drive C: and VM configuration & VHD's on Drive D:

My other "wrinkle" is that I have 2 pass drives to 2011 that I would have to re-establish as pass thru's again to that VM.

Any gotcha's I should watch out for?

Now thats what i call thinking ahead RTM is not till end of year :)

another question is will you need to pass through the drives to a 2011 vm ,maybe Server 8 will suffice

i.e.

Host: Server 8

> VM: WHS 2011

> VM: Windows 8

>ect.

or

> VM: Server 8

or ?

Now thats what i call thinking ahead RTM is not till end of year :)

another question is will you need to pass through the drives to a 2011 vm ,maybe Server 8 will suffice

i.e.

> VM: WHS 2011

>ect.

or

> VM: Server 8

or ?

I guess fundamentally I would like to learn how to do it. It seemed that if there was a way to save my VM's and change my host then re-install my VM's I could switch hosts with the minimal fuss and still be trying out different things with the VM's.

I would like to save the 2011 VM with the pass thru disks at least for awhile to get more experience with it and the pass thru's. The same with the W8 VM -- I would like to save that VM with stuff that I added to it and move it to another host.

What I think would be very interesting would be to use W8 as a host and move VM's to it.

It looks like from stuff I've been reading like http://social.techne...D2-5358C201F3DB I'm stuck with Export/Inport and to preserve the "identity" of my VM's I would need to check the box "reuse VM identification" when I inport.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Is everything on the same partition?

If I understand your question -- everything is in the Child Partitions that I want to stop and move.

Guest no-control

I'm not clear on what you want to do. I'll assume blow out a host OS. If VM's and VHDs are on a separate partition, volume, or disk. you just blow out the host OS reinstall new host OS enable Hyper-V. You'll need to recreate the VMs (BMPs) then use the existing VHD and attach pass through disks. Done.

I'm fairly certain if I understand the request correctly he will either have to export the VM and reimport it, or depending on how crazy you want to get you can move the VMs between HyperV instances even while running. But you can't just move and reassociate a VM. It might be faster to recreate the VMs like Michael states above than export/reimport the full VM with associated VHD.

No, are the VM's on the same partition as the OS? If not, blow away the OS.

The OS is by itself on Drive C: while the VM's are all on Drive D: -- so they are on seperate physical drives. C: is a SSD while D: is a WD Black.

Each VM on Drive D: is in it's own folder that contains a folder for Snapshots, a folder for Virtual Machines, the VHD file and the AVHD file.

I'm fairly certain if I understand the request correctly he will either have to export the VM and reimport it, or depending on how crazy you want to get you can move the VMs between HyperV instances even while running. But you can't just move and reassociate a VM. It might be faster to recreate the VMs like Michael states above than export/reimport the full VM with associated VHD.

It's looking like the best way to do it would be to export each VM then when I've created a new host and started up Hyper-V again to inport each VM and set up it NIC and reattach any HD's passed thru like Michael mentioned.