RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Move VM's to a New Host running Hyper-V

Joe_Miner

To move my VM's that are on my MicroServer to a New Host would I need to export each VM and import those VM's into the new host or could I simply shut down each VM and since all the VM's are on one drive -- just move the Drive and import those VM's?

The reason I'm asking and what I was thinking of trying is shutting down each VM then wipe 2K8R2 off my OS drive and install either Server 8 or Win 8 (haven't decided yet which -- may try both eventually) -- start up Hyper-V and then import my VM's into the new host. Then a little voice in my head said that maybe I should ask about this.

Wouldn't this be essentially the same as if I had lost the OS drive and wanted to rebuild the host?

I've been trying to follow best practices of keeping just the OS on the OS drive C: and VM configuration & VHD's on Drive D:

My other "wrinkle" is that I have 2 pass drives to 2011 that I would have to re-establish as pass thru's again to that VM.

Any gotcha's I should watch out for?

Greg Welch

Now thats what i call thinking ahead RTM is not till end of year :)

another question is will you need to pass through the drives to a 2011 vm ,maybe Server 8 will suffice

i.e.

Host: Server 8

> VM: WHS 2011

> VM: Windows 8

>ect.

or

> VM: Server 8

or ?

Joe_Miner

Now thats what i call thinking ahead RTM is not till end of year :)

another question is will you need to pass through the drives to a 2011 vm ,maybe Server 8 will suffice

i.e.

> VM: WHS 2011

>ect.

or

> VM: Server 8

or ?

I guess fundamentally I would like to learn how to do it. It seemed that if there was a way to save my VM's and change my host then re-install my VM's I could switch hosts with the minimal fuss and still be trying out different things with the VM's.

I would like to save the 2011 VM with the pass thru disks at least for awhile to get more experience with it and the pass thru's. The same with the W8 VM -- I would like to save that VM with stuff that I added to it and move it to another host.

What I think would be very interesting would be to use W8 as a host and move VM's to it.

It looks like from stuff I've been reading like http://social.techne...D2-5358C201F3DB I'm stuck with Export/Inport and to preserve the "identity" of my VM's I would need to check the box "reuse VM identification" when I inport.

Edited by Joe_Miner

jmwills

Is everything on the same partition?

Joe_Miner

Is everything on the same partition?

If I understand your question -- everything is in the Child Partitions that I want to stop and move.

Guest no-control

I'm not clear on what you want to do. I'll assume blow out a host OS. If VM's and VHDs are on a separate partition, volume, or disk. you just blow out the host OS reinstall new host OS enable Hyper-V. You'll need to recreate the VMs (BMPs) then use the existing VHD and attach pass through disks. Done.

timekills

I'm fairly certain if I understand the request correctly he will either have to export the VM and reimport it, or depending on how crazy you want to get you can move the VMs between HyperV instances even while running. But you can't just move and reassociate a VM. It might be faster to recreate the VMs like Michael states above than export/reimport the full VM with associated VHD.

jmwills

No, are the VM's on the same partition as the OS? If not, blow away the OS.

Joe_Miner

No, are the VM's on the same partition as the OS? If not, blow away the OS.

The OS is by itself on Drive C: while the VM's are all on Drive D: -- so they are on seperate physical drives. C: is a SSD while D: is a WD Black.

Each VM on Drive D: is in it's own folder that contains a folder for Snapshots, a folder for Virtual Machines, the VHD file and the AVHD file.

I'm fairly certain if I understand the request correctly he will either have to export the VM and reimport it, or depending on how crazy you want to get you can move the VMs between HyperV instances even while running. But you can't just move and reassociate a VM. It might be faster to recreate the VMs like Michael states above than export/reimport the full VM with associated VHD.

It's looking like the best way to do it would be to export each VM then when I've created a new host and started up Hyper-V again to inport each VM and set up it NIC and reattach any HD's passed thru like Michael mentioned.

ikon

Not sure I'll be doing any of this, but it's a fascinating discussion. I look forward to reading more about it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Panos Panay just wowed the Microsoft crowd with two incredible hardware reveals. The first was the SurfaceBook i7 with a whopping 16 hours of battery life.  The second was Surface Studio. I dare you to call it an "All in One" after today.

I'll be chatting about all this gear on my new podcast, RESET. Find it here: mccabe.io

Surface Studio

The specs of Studio are impressive but visually it is stunning. It has 28" of wow that can be manipulated to however you prefer to create.

Screen: 28" PixelSense Display
      Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 DPI)
      Color settings: Adobe sRGB, DCI-P3 and Vivid Color Profiles, Individually color calibrated
      Touch: 10-point multi-touch
      Aspect Ratio: 3:2
      Surface Pen
      Zero Gravity Hinge
      Quad-core 6th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GPU GDDR5 memory or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GPU GDDR5 memory

It looks like a creative persons dream machine.  Apple picked a bad week to follow Microsoft when it comes to hardware reveals.  I personally would like to try the Studio and Dial with some video editing software.  I think it will be great for that.

Look at the Microsoft Store online for more photos.  It really is a nice looking Surface. Link Here.

Surface Book

The Surface Book is plain and simple; More.  More graphics and more battery.  It's a little heavier and starts at 3.6 pounds where last year's Surface Book was 3.3 pounds.  Maybe it's the new 6th Gen Intel Core i7 or the i7: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.  That's nice but Panos stated they just put in more battery!  It's nice to see that.  Adds a little weight but for those that want the battery life it's a welcome change.

Surface Dial
      The Dial is impressive.  It's compatible with any Windows 10 enabled PC, laptop, or tablet as long as it has the Anniversary Update.  Don't try this with your Surface Pro but it will stick to the screen of the Surface Studio!  It will have optimized off screen compatibility with Surface Book and SP4.

It's a jog dial on steroids and Panos and software partners demo'd many uses of it. Color wheel, zoom in, etc.  It's $99 and can be purchased now for delivery on November 10th.

Thanks for shopping with my links.  Maybe I can get one too!
    • ido.hamdi
      By ido.hamdi
      Hello and good morning / afternoon.
      We are experiencing problems when adding a Hyper-V host in to a SCVMM (Both 2016)
      The procedure itself completed successfully,
      But right after the job has finished, the host is getting a BSOD with "Inaccessible Boot Device" Massage.
      I have tried multiple hosts and SCVMMs but the result is the same...
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.!
    • Amit
      By Amit
      Greetings Gents,

I am trying to build a home lab for the purposes of learning the virtualization technologies - WS 2012 R2 Hyper-V / VMware ESX / Citrix XenServer and for this purpose, I have just purchased (with my limited knowledge in server hardware)1 HP Prolient ML10v2 with Xeon E3-1220 v3, 8 Gigs of RAM, Single 1 TB HDD. I am also planning to buy more ML10v2 servers, (if ML10v2 server can fulfil my requirement of implementing these virtualization solutions and can run couple of VMs per host). 

My question to the community is whether has anyone successfully installed/ran these solution off this server? if yes, what are the considerations for installing VMware ESX/Citrix XenServer that one must keep in mind?

If the ML10v2 hardware is not capable of installing/running/hosting these bare metal solutions (VMware/XenServer) than what is the minimum hardware requirement to be considered before purchasing another server. Please consider the fact that this is a home lab and I have limited budget of around 1000-1500 USD (500 already spent) and have to meet the needs first and wants later. 

Consider me a newbie here and if I have missed any information to be provided, please let me know. Any help/advice is much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Regards
      Amit   
    • noober69
      By noober69
      Hi, I have a new ML10v2 and am trying to consolidate all my servers onto this little box as much as possible.

I currently actively use:

HTPC server (N54L win 10, 8TB of movies and tv shows, networked to my smart TV that runs a Kodi app). Runs about 12hr/day and doesn't do anything  but serve up HQ MKV files (ie 10gb 1080p movies).

Home server (N54L WHS2011, 8 TB of backup data for client windows pc's.  Data for backup is mainly family photos and video, but could include some of my movie library.  Also used for bitorrent and usenet client.) Runs 24/7, and is slow.

I have win 10 laptop and desktop which I use for work and play, so the servers do not get used for games, watching vids etc.

Requirements for new ML10v2 server:
      Consolidate functions as above.
      Maintain OS and data backups of 2 windows client pc's.   
      Hold and serve video files for Kodi across my GB lan network.  
      Run SABNZBD+ for d/l media.  Maybe also some torrenting which I do infrequently. 
      Would be on 24/7 and would need to do several things at once.

New ML10v2 has 16gb ram, intel G3240 dual core, ~10tb HDD (before I scavenge the old N54L drives), and a M1015 giving me about 8-10 HDD connections. I am thinking of a low end xeon (1220) and a dual port intel nic as well.

I have put Xpenology on the ML10v2 for a play and it seems to sync client data and serve movies to the tv well. I like its interface and it seems it could take care of SAB, and torrents.  Not sure if that can be done all at once, which it would need to do. Probably can't do Windows OS backups and not sure about proper data backups of photos etc.

So I am thinking I would like to have my ML10v2 act as a single server to replace the 2 N54L boxes.

I have a dreamspark license so I believe I can get Windows Server 2012 R2 in any flavour for free.  I would prefer not to spend money on licenses if I don't have to, but want something reliable.  I currently remote into each box via client pc/laptop for management.

My initial thoughts:

Option 1: install exsi on the bare ML10v2, then install Xpenology as a VM. Also install Win Sever 2012 (or win 10/whs2011 at a pinch) as another VM for OS backups.

Option 2: Install Win Server 2012 baremetal (or win 10?) with Hyper-V and then install Xpenology on top as a VM. 

I want the lowest maintenance solution.  I am not sure how hard the above is to setup and maintain. I am also not sure whether the system could handle all these tasks anyway, so I seek advice.

I have set up my system myself and tweaked it and everything works fine.  I have limited knowledge of Linux, and no understanding of VM.  I do not work in IT as a job, so solutions that require registry hacks, knowledge of CLI commands etc are not going to be easy for me to use.

I could just keep 2/3 different servers but I would prefer to consolidate into one box if possible. 

Thanks.