RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wordpress Help?

texasPI

Hey guys, I've been wanting to start a family blog site so that my extended family can keep up with us. I have many family members who do not want to do Facebook etc. So I have a few domain names and a hosting account with Hostgator. I've thrown together a Wordpress site but I'm struggling with a few things:

1) I want to setup private photo galleries. I want to be able to password protect some content that only my family can access, mainly photos.

2) My website is at www.chavezes.com but how can I incorporate a photo gallery in my website? For example, if I can create a page and title it gallery but how do I put a gallery on there? I have a subdomain of photos.chavezes.com that allows me to do what I want in point (1) but how do I incorporate that to show on www.chavezes.com under the Photo Gallery tab I have on that page?

Am I making sense? Is there a better way to do this? Hostgator offer several 1-click installation packages aside from Wordpress like Drupal and other CMS systems. Is there something better?

Edited by texasPI

To clarify: I know that I can password protect on a per post basis but I want to do something where people can register on my site then I have to approve them and they'll then have like a members only area and content.

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest way I have found is to use "nextgen photo gallery. It is a plug in for WordPress and works pretty well. If you go to my blog, go to the top menu and click on Photos and you can see it in action. There are several layouts, transitions to choose from and it is very customize-able.

http://thedocsworld.net/

The easiest way I have found is to use "nextgen photo gallery. It is a plug in for WordPress and works pretty well. If you go to my blog, go to the top menu and click on Photos and you can see it in action. There are several layouts, transitions to choose from and it is very customize-able.

Had a quick look at the photo site. Do you know if it offers anything but white as the background? White is the worst possible colour to use for photos.

I had tried that plugin before but I found it a little confusing. I'll have another look at it.

Had a quick look at the photo site. Do you know if it offers anything but white as the background? White is the worst possible colour to use for photos.

Yes, they have several themes available, kind of like Wordpress. I just threw it together quick and dirty to see if it would do what I want.

Yes, they have several themes available, kind of like Wordpress. I just threw it together quick and dirty to see if it would do what I want.

Cool. I find a dark grey background seems to work best for 'most' photos; it helps bring out the colours.

Yes, they have a few themes and it is a bit confusing until figure out where stuff is stored. Once it sinks in I found that I like it. Ultimately it is a personal choice and there are a bunch of other apps out there.

Yes, they have a few themes and it is a bit confusing until figure out where stuff is stored. Once it sinks in I found that I like it. Ultimately it is a personal choice and there are a bunch of other apps out there.

The big stumbling block for me was that galleries are albums and albums are galleries in NextGen. I actually came across a random blog post where the plugin author pointed that out and then it all made sense to me.

Erik

Edited by texasPI

The big stumbling block for me was that galleries are albums and albums are galleries in NextGen. I actually came across a random blog post where the plugin author pointed that out and then it all made sense to me.

Erik

I wonder what the thinking was in making that decision.

• 2 months later...

I went through this about a year ago. I also did not ant to use Facebook to post our families photos and videos.

I have never used a blogging web site and chose the web site route since I have web site experience. If you do not have web site experience, it is pretty easy to learn.

Google has free options for web sites, hosting and domains that interact with Picasa Web that make uploading personal photos and videos pretty easy.

In order for you to create and update the web site easily, you will need to use Picasa photo editing software and have all of your media in digital formats.

Some of the benefits of this kind of outlet is you have total control of your families data and there many tools to create a great looking web site to impress your family and friends.

Some downsides are, with the power of have total control or no control over who is viewing your web site, some people have reported back to me that they can not access the site. I am not sure why this is but be aware it may not be easy for everyone to access your site. The other down side is the domain is quite long as you will have to use their domain names which can be quite long. But since you will be sending links in email or other written means I do not consider that to be too much of a problem.

The best part of going this route is that all of the software and site are FREE!

Here is what I do to upload new photos and videos and then update our site.

1. First I connect my phone to any computer client in my home and it automatically downloads any photos and video to our home server.
  2. I then start up Picasa and it automatically scans any new media on the server and does face recognition on any faces it finds and applies names to these people.
  3. I then look at the photos I like, apply tags and captions if necessary and upload them to a new album or albums on my Picasa Web site.
  4. I then go to our family site on Google Sites and create a Picasa Web Slideshow and connect it to my new album in Picasa Web.
  5. Save it and it will automatically notify my friends and family that there are new items on our web site.

It takes me about 5 minutes from start to finish.

If you have a android phone and do not care about face recognition you could even have your phone upload the photos automatically to your Google + account and eliminate the first 3 steps of my list.

Check it out. I think you may like all of the tools Google sites uses to create a great site for your family.

First off hereis a link to a similar of some of the features you can do. This site is a rental we have and I created a site for it using Google Sites.

Here is the Google Sites link.

Here is the link to Picasa